Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Please tell me about Lululemon.....

Can any mama tell me what is so wonderful about this brand....and is it worth the money?

I am looking for a birthday present for an avid exerciser and though this might be a great starting point. Any opinions would be so appreciated!

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've decided that Lululemon is worth the investment as the yoga pants that my DH gave me for my birthday four years ago have barely faded and still don't show much wear after all this time (exception: the hoodie that is made from cotton knit, rather than luon). Hence, I've acquired a few other pieces of Lululemon over the years ...

That being said, one of my friends had a bad experience with their pricey yoga pants after washing them with towels. She didn't elaborate much on what the impact was, but she was sad ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What I like is that when you sweat it doesn't show through. The pants I have (and most of them I think) are reversible. So for $42 I feel like I got 2 pair. Then pants also come in long, which is a must for me. I also like that the pants have a waist band key/credit card pocket.
    My shirt has a iPod pocket. I find the cut of their shirts flattering. They slightly A-line so they don't grab poochy stomachs.
    The fabric feels great, and the pieces seem well made. I got mine for Christmas so I have only worn a few times.

The care instructions specifically say not not wash with towels or use fabric softener.

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much ladies! They just opened a new store near me,,,,and I think this person would really like the stuff! Wish me luck,,,and a good sale!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ah, Lululemon. Welcome to the addiction....

Lululemon was a cult-status yoga-wear store that was started by a guy named Chip Wilson in the 1990's. The first store was in Vancouver, BC in an area named Kitsilano. The Kitsilano store still exists, though it is in a different location than it was originally (by about 20 feet). If you want to understand Lululemon, go to the Kitsilano store any day of the week. It is ALWAYS (and I mean ALWAYS) packed to the gills with shoppers.

Wilson was bought out of his sole ownership a few years ago, making him an instant multi-bazillionaire. I think it was last year that the company's shares went public, again making him tons of cash.

Lululemon was initially just yoga wear, though it has branched out into many other sports and also organic-wear in its Ooquo line.

Really, Lululemon stuff isn't much different than other yoga wear out there. Except for the cult-like devotion of its fans. You have to experience it to understand. I say this as the owner of a crazy amount of Lululemon gear. The fabrics are a bit thicker and the cuts more attractive. I actually prefer Nike Dri-Fit fabric. But, seriously, if you go to a yoga class here (doesn't matter if it is a Bikram class, one at a rec center or one at the YMCA), 99% of people here will be wearing Lululemon -- from head to toe.

If you buy Lulu yoga wear, do NOT wash it with other fabrics, particularly towels. It pills like crazy. Generally, I wash my Lululemon (and other sports gear) separately.

As an aside, there is a darker side to Lululemon. If you google Chatelaine and Lululemon (Chatelaine is a Canadian women's magazine), you get a bunch of hits about Wilson's involvment in Landmark Education.... Kinda creepy.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yeah, total cult following here in Calgary as well - Chip Wilson went to the University of Calgary and we have somehow laid claim to him, LOL.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/oncampus/week...ni-wilson.html

I don't know that I want to lay claim on him - he does seem sort of creepy!

I wear yoga pants from Costco and love them! WAY cheaper and nice quality, plus I don't go nuts if I get them dirty or accidentally wash them with something I shouldn't.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    I wear yoga pants from Costco and love them! WAY cheaper and nice quality, plus I don't go nuts if I get them dirty or accidentally wash them with something I shouldn't.
    I was just coming back from putting DD#2 down for the night to post about the Costco/Tuff Athletics yoga pants. IMO, they are nicer than the Lululemon ones. They are thinner fabric and just fit a bit nicer. And, I don't care when the inevitable dog hairs get permanently imbedded in them -- at $17 a pair (less on sale), who cares. But, I do get ticked when those dredded hairs get onto my Lululemon pants.

FWIW, I like Lululemon stuff for yoga and weekend wear. When I ran marathons, I actually hated Lulu stuff for that kind of wear. Its too thick and chafed. But, here in Vancouver, you aren't allowed into Starbucks for a latte without wearing at least *something* Lulu....

ETA: I also have some prana stuff and have shopped at Lucy too. Lululemon stuff is nicer than either of those brands in both fabric and fit/cut. IME the only fabric that is better for high-output aerobic activity is Nike Dri Fit.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 12-31-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I heard of this brand when Melissa (Bubbaray) mentioned lusting after a yoga jacket. I checked out their web site, and then checked out their stock. A few other upscale yoga brands are prAna and Lucy.

I wear Target pants and WalMart t-shirts to the gym.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lululemon has been in the news lately about fraudulent labeling claims....

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...MON-SHARES.xml

Their stock took quite a hit after this story came out.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Gosh, I think it's kind of funny that their clothing said stuff like that in the first place!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008