Default Has anyone used Boppy's Noggin Nest for flat head?

My 11 week old DD is a great back sleeper, but loves to keep her head turned to the right. When she is sleeping soundly, I turn it to the left (otherwise she fights it) and she'll stay there awhile, but always turns back to the right. Sometimes, I have her sleep on my chest which keeps her off the back of her head, however she is still getting quite the flat spot, with a point at the top, I might add! The Ped said it would straighten out on it's own when she is more mobile, but I still don't like it. Just wondered if anyone has used this product and what you thought of it.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Has anyone used Boppy's Noggin Nest for flat head?

Hi-

I didn't use the Noggin nest, but I thought I would share my experience with you anyway. My DD always looked to the right too- and would fight it if I tried to move her. At her 2 month checkup my ped noticed her head was flat on one side in the back (I never even noticed). The "looking to the right," thing, at least in our case was not normal, it was torticolis, which is a shortening of the neck muscle- basically a stiff neck. It's a very common cause of the flattening. My DD received physical therapy for her neck when she was 2-3 months old and within weeks was turning her head in both directions. Once she was able to change her position the flattening decreased. Now it is barely noticeable. I don't want to scare you or anything, but I would ask your ped about getting your DD a PT evaluation. My PT told me the earlier you treat the easier it is for them. The treatment involves some simple stretching exercises that my DD actually enjoyed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Val
    Mom to Madeline
    7/28/04

Thanks for the info, but she has already been evaluated for torticollis. She will turn both directions, but just has a preference to the right. The PT I saw told me it's just her position of comfort. She doesn't have any tightness in her neck. Thanks again,

helaina Guest

My 5 month old has plagio. The back of his head is flat and it slopes to the right, which is also his side of preference. He sleeps on his right side and now I'm constantly going in his room and turning him over in his crib. My DS has acid reflux so he spent a lot of time in his bouncer which made things worse. The doc told us to stop putting him in there, and we are really suffering without our crutch. DS really prefers being fed in there, so that is difficult.

I just ordered a Bumbo seat. DS can't sit up on his own yet, but he does enjoy us holding him up, so I'm hoping this helps. I plan on using it after meals instead of the bouncer. This will hopefully keep him upright and happy (fingers crossed) and I will continue to turn him over in his sleep. I've seen Bumbo seats on target.com, bumbo.com, and I ordered mine from OKn (since I wanted a Rayshade anyway). Maybe this kind of seat would work for you?

I wonder if a noggin nest would let me use my bouncer?