Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default IKEA Diktad Furniture

Hello all,

I am considering buying some IKEA Diktad furniture pieces: (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...25&cattype=sub). Specifically, I am interested in their changing table because it looks like you can change the baby with it facing towards you - rather than sideways.

Does anyone have an IKEA Diktad piece? Or specifically this changing table? If so, how do you like it?

-AgathiP04

farleygirl Guest

Default RE: IKEA Diktad Furniture

We purchased this for our soon-to-be-born second baby. Honestly, the dresser seems fine for a dresser, but I'm not sure about using the fold out changing portion. It just seems a little unsafe to me to have the baby on the portion that folds out. But, as baby hasn't come yet, I haven't tested it out ( definitely wouldn't use it for my 18-month old).

CecilysMom Guest

We have the Diktad toy chest. It works great for us. My daughter can open and close it by herself, and it won't slam shut.

n2ou is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Being from Germany, I had never seen an American (sideway) changing table in my life.

So, I had to get the IKEA one. We have the former model, called Narvik, the wood is a little lighter but overall the same changing table.

We love it and have used it with two kids. Once achored into the wall (like Ikea recommends because little ones can crawl up drawers) it is super stable.

The bad thing about it is that when the changing table is folded down, the upper drawer is almost impossible to get to (I store instruction manuals in mine, so no big deal).

I have one of these square pads.

HTH,

SIMONE

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32745.jpg

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the Diktad chest of drawers/changing table for DD, and it's the best piece of furniture we've bought for her! Yes, you can totally change the baby facing you. It was a bit of challenge to find a changing pad that fit it. We ended up buying one of the contoured ones from BRU and trimming the foam down - a very easy and inexpensive solution. It's a very heavy piece and it's stable enough to continue using with my daughter, who is now 22 lbs, without a safety concern. It's just her legs that rest on the part that folds out - the base of the piece is really supporting her weight.

ETA: there's a larger thread discussing the Diktab changing table right here, from last November: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Thank you everyone for your input! We will have to check it out :-)

We have the Diktad crib, dresser, and changing table (the dresser and changing table fit together). Although we always change DS sideways, our friends who also have the Diktad set changed their daughter the other way and had no problems. I think the changing table is totally safe. It can be a pain to get into the top drawer of the dresser, but it's doable.

For a changing pad we bought an inflatable one from Ikea, and I keep it covered with a thin receiving blanket so I can keep it clean easily.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

A standard sized pillow case will fit the inflatable pad perfectly. It will even bring up the sides a little so DC can't roll off.
    - Maria

UofIx3 Guest

Can someone tell me how far off the ground the changing surface is? My wife is only 5'1 1/2" and we're worried it's too high.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm. I'm 5'3" and the changing surface hits me between my chest and my waist. I'm not at home right now, so I can't do an actual measurement.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast