Default Where to buy a crib mattress?

Hi - does any one have any suggestions on where the best place/price to buy a crib mattress is? I am still waiting on the arrival of my Pali crib and my baby is not due until February, so I do have some time to look around....I think.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Where to buy a crib mattress?

I just bought ds' at Target. I wanted a firm, foam one and they were the only store I could find one in at the time (4+ years ago). They still sell the Kolcraft one I have at some stores. It worked fine. Only negative was the vinyl cover on it- I was worried that it would mean ds was breathing in more stale, "plasticy" air but the upside was there was no need for a mattress pad as the mattress was easy to just wipe clean. :) Bit noisy too though because of the vinyl (or whatever it was). Loved the weight of foam and would not buy a coil mattress since they are much heavier.

Beth

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got mine at a local juvenile furniture/furnishings store. It wasn't the best price, but the owner spent a lot of time talking to me, answering my questions and addressing my concerns that I thought her time was worth the small increase in price. Otherwise, I probably would have gotten it from BabyCatalog.com
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

amp Guest

We went to BRU, looked at the first 3 or 4 recommended by BB and picked the one we thought seemed firm but comfy with a middle of the road price.

We also got the Kolcraft foam one at Target a few years ago. My 2 year old is still using it (and she has always slept awesome, although I do not attribute that to the mattress).

The key is to get a firm mattress, but IMO, all crib mattress are sufficiently firm. I liked the idea of foam because it is lighter and easier to change. The Kolcraft one was, I believe, about $30, and I have never understood how a book with "Bargains" in the title would recommend a spendy Colgate mattress when the Kolcraft one at a third of the price does the job just as well.

Yes, it has a vinyl cover, and yes, it has vinyl seams, but with a mattress pad and a sheet, it is not like it really matters. It's for a baby, not a sleep-sensitive princess who can feel a pea through 20 mattresses. And if you want to get a new mattress with a second child, 2 Kolcrafts are cheaper than a single Colgate.