leeza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Mini Crib - how long can you use it?

We have an 18 month old, and will have another little one in about two months and are considering mini cribs. Does anyone know how long, (i.e. how tall a baby, how heavy,) the mini cribs can accomodate? I've had a hard time finding the info online.

Our goal would be to keep our first son in a crib as long as possible, then transition him to a larger bed and swap his brother into the larger crib. I read a lot on this board about parents who swear by keeping toddlers in their cribs as long as they'll tolerate it, and it sounds like a plan. We could always buy a crib if the mini crib doesn't work out, but I'm a penny pincher ;)

thanks so much!

ETA: Mini crib owners, did you buy a separate mattress to go with your mini crib, and if so, what mini crib do you have and what size/mfr mattress did you buy?

Leeza
    DS1 6/05, DS2 expected 3/07

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Mini Crib - how long can you use it?

from what I have read of mini-cribs, they recommend switching to a regular size crib once your little one can stand on his/her own. So its use is limited once #2 hits about 10 months at most. for the price, I'd recommend going with a full-sized crib from IKEA or a similar low-price manufacturer. We paid $89 for our SNIGLAR crib from IKEA and it was gone through several disassembly/reassembly cycles without any problems. A friend of mine has had 2 IKEA cribs for her 3 children and has lent them out to at least 2 other kids over 6 years of ownership, so I know they are very sturdy, well-made cribs.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Even though I've yet to use one, I intend to and have done some prior research.
    Many people lump mini cribs and portable cribs together, but they are different and provide different options. A true mini crib isn't really portable and looks very much like a standard crib, just smaller dimensions; ideal if you have space limitations.This leads me to believe that it would be more comfortable for baby to use full-time as opposed to some portable cribs (ie, pack n play).

Most come with mattresses, various levels for the pad, and some can be converted to twin beds. I've seen both of these in person and they seem sturdy, with the mini crib looking more like a piece of nursery furniture (the metal crib has smaller dimensions but looks a little sterile). Keep in mind you need to buy separate bedding. The weight/age limit is supposedly 24 months. There are reviews of these two items on the BabyCenter site. HTH!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family

ttp://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2574627&cp=2255986.2256245.225 6274&parentPage=family

Thank you so much - Ikea has been great for the other things I've bought there. I'll definitely consider it.

Leeza

Thank you! I've seen a mini crib in person, but was too impatient to wait around a busy store for the attention of staff. I'm so glad to hear that the limit is 24 months or so. My first little one is pretty tall, so I'd guess we'd be out of it by 18 months, but that definitely leaves it as a possibility.

thanks again,
    Leeza