cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Please advise.....waterproof pads, ultimate crib sheet, etc

I have recieved one ultimate crib sheet, 1 travel changing pad, 1 large quilted multiuse pad (27x36) and 2 crib and toddler bed pads (27x50). Will I use all this? Do I need more than one ultimate crib sheet? I haven't even tried it on the crib yet. In addition to the crib, we have a changing table, bassinet and PNP with bassinet and changing station. So will all these pads be put to good use? Finally, a fried of mine told me that they give you tons of pads like these at the hospital. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Please advise.....waterproof pads, ultimate crib sheet, etc

It really depends on what you like. And how often you will do laundry.

I started out using the multi-use pads. I have the continetal quilting brand (bear pattern). The problem with those is I found that they did not wash well -they pill terribly. I also thought the fact that they didn't attach to the crib may become a problem as he got older. I still use them for the PNP bassinette, one on my dresser top where I keep changing supplies, and one on the couch under his boppy. I have about 6 of the smaller size and 2 crib size (which I really don't use any more). I also have a wp mattress pad under the sheet.

I've since changed to using the UCS with a a Nojo sheet saver under his head. As mentioned in other threads, the new USC are not very soft -someone reccomended the sheet-savers and I love them. They are small rectangles of fabric that tie onto the crib and can be placed under head or bottom to protect the sheet.

If I could do it again I would just purchase 2 UCS, 2 or 3 sheet savers and 4 of the bassisnette size multi-use pads.

Its sounds like you have a good mix to get started with and you can see what is working for you. I wouldn't get another USC yet, if it does get soiled you can always use the bed pad until the UCS gets washed. DS hardly wets through anymore (did often at first) that is why I use the sheet savers by his face --he is more likely to spit up or drool and then I can just swap out the sheetsaver. If he did soil the sheet I would use one of my pads since I alreay have them.

Sorry this got so long! Hope it helped some. Oh, and I didn't get any pads at the hospital -or even see any for that matter.

Good luck!
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

gatorgal99 Guest

My Sister-in-law gave me advice about the UCS. She said get two, so in the middle of the night, all you have to do is replace the UCS with another one if the baby wets the bed. Otherwise you are chancing them wetting your regular sheets before you get to wash the UCS. Plus the UCS is easier to pull off/put on then the regular crib sheet, especially in the middle of the night!

Hopefully she is right. I'll find out in June!

I haven't used the UCS at all--in fact, I don't know that I will need to--DD drools a bit, but so far we haven't had problems with blowouts/leaking (am I in for a surprise???:)).

I only use those small (8x11??) multi-use pads--one in the crib, a few on the changing table, the MB carrycot, diaper bag, etc.

Hope that helps!

petersmom Guest

Christine, Can I say how much I love my Ultimate cric sheet savers!!!!! Have you tried putting on the fitted sheet on your crib yet!!Ours is so snug It almost takes two of us to lift it. Needless to say It is easier to just unsnap the UCS and I have another under. Therefore I can change peters sheets when I want to not because they are dirty. Great time saver. I buy one for every pregnant friend I have. Top ten item that every mother needs in my book.
    Petersmom