Christine Adams Guest

Default Nursery Safety and Hanging Pictures on the Wall Above Crib

I have put most of my nursery together and have put three wall hangings (2 long picture picture frames that hold three - 4x6 photos each; and one medium sized bulletin board with cute painting and dragon flies on the frame). I like how it looks, BUT I just got some free flier/coupon book in the mail and it has one of those "nursery safety" checklists. It lists as an important item, "Do not hang anything on the wall above the crib because it could fall off the wall and harm the baby."

Now, I have never seen a picture fall off a wall before, ever. But I will be new to motherhood. Maybe babies are so rambunctious that they rock the crib crazily and knock things off walls. Even in a year I don't think the baby could reach up and even touch the pics.

Anyway, you can tell I want to leave the items there on the wall, but I am going to remove them if that is really the best thing to do. Do any experienced moms out there have advice or stories to help me decide what to do. (No, you will not be held liable for your advice! :)

Thanks!

peanut4us Guest

Default RE: Nursery Safety and Hanging Pictures on the Wall Above Crib

i know you don't want to hear this, but, i wouldn't do it. you never know when some freak thing might happen.

Example: we had some windows in our house broken because of dynamite blasting at a quarry several miles away from our house. it seems that day they got the charge too near avein and it helped the aftershock of the blast travel further. Three windows broke and 2 pictures on a wall fell off. Nothing in DD's room, but it taught me that you just never know.

Is there another wall in your nursery that you could put the pictures on?

I don't have anything hanging above the crib. But, I am amazed at how high my 11 month old can reach when he's walking around. Plus, I think that an additional danger of the wall hangings falling arises if there are objects in the crib. Such objects can be used by your little one to stand on, thereby gaining height, or thrown at the objects on the wall to potentially knock them down. It's amazing what my DS comes up with. Right now, he is really into throwing things and I could imagine that if there was something interesting hanging above his crib he would want to explore it and then want to see what happened if he threw a toy at it.

I wouldn't risk it myself. Sorry. I do hope you have another available wall.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

I've never seen a picture fall off a wall either. YET. The first thing Joseph did when he was able to stand up in the crib was slide this big picture back and forth on its hook. He thought that was a lot of fun! Of course I had to take it down. My advice would be to either hang your pictures very, very high, or to choose a different wall. HTH.

Helene
    mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can you position the crib a foot out from the wall? Then I'd probably be okay with hanging them above the crib. But I agree with the other posters that I probably wouldn't do it if the crib is right up against the wall.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Christine Adams Guest

I'm convinced! Thanks for all your advice personal stories. I'm going to hang things on another wall. It will look unbalanced, but my baby will be safer.

I have several pictures and shelves hanging on the walls in my daughters room (she is three) and havent had anything fall down, and we have really sad walls as things have fallen down in our room. However, I found that if you hang the pictures up on a nail, and then use that padded double stick tape, they are near impossible to fall off the wall. Also, pulling the crib out from the wall a few inches might help if you are worried. Im more of the opinion that if an accident is gonna happen its gonna happen. You could have the pictures on the other wall and your little one could be crawling along and hit the wall and have it fall...know what I mean? I personally wouldnt be too concerned unless you have had problems in the past with your walls. just my thoughts though :)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We live in the land of Earthquakes, so I'm nervous having ANYTHING on the wall in a bedroom. We put soft letters spelling Ds' name about his bed. For the rest of the room/house we only hang them with a wire and a picture-hanging hook so that if the wall shakes they don't catapult off. For things hung with a ribbon (like hand prints) we have cup hooks with the little safety-flap on the top.

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Our PnP was in our room for the first 3 months and I didn't even think about the picture hanging above it...until it fell off the wall! Fortunately it slid straight down behind the PnP and missed the baby. This could have been a terrible accident that I didn't even see ahead of time...don't do it.

zoesmom Guest

I did the same thing -- picture hanging hooks with a little flap on top to prevent the wire from coming off & double sided tape along the edge of the frames. I also bought very lightweight frames with plexiglass, just in case they did somehow fall. They are very secure and I'm not worried about them. I worry more about falls & sharp corners:)