Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ladythebabygirl Guest

Default What is a Ultimate Crib Sheet

Hi,
    I saw numerous people post that they have a ultimate crib sheet.

What is a ultimate crib sheet? Does it go under a regular fitted sheet.? How much are they and where can you buy them???
    Please let me know

Mel

Imperia Guest

Default RE: What is a Ultimate Crib Sheet

I do not have one myself, but it's a "sheet protector". It actually goes over the sheet instead of under. They attatch to the crib posts and protectteh sheet so when the baby wets etc etc you only have to change the sheet protector instead of the entire sheet. I think Babies R Us sells them. YOu could also probably do a search on this site to see if people like them or not.

Imperia

vpalmer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mel,

I have two Ultimate Crib Sheets and honestly I probably would not buy them again for the following reasons:

1) Ease of use: The UCS is pretty much a mattress cover designed to go on top of your existing sheet. Instead of fitting around your mattress, the UCS attaches to the spindles on your crib via snaps attached to elastic. Honestly, I snap and unsnap enough snaps in a day’s time as it is through changing DD's clothes. By the time you snap all those snaps you could have put the sheet on!

2) Need for "middle of the night sheet changes:" One of the big selling points for me was the thought of having to change crib sheets in the middle of the night. I though I could stumble through the snaps much more easily than actually changing a sheet. In reality though, in 7 months I have NEVER changed DD's sheets in the middle of the night! Maybe this is rare but she is a spitter and has had her share of accidents but they are either in the morning or never make it to the sheets in the middle of the night.

3) Durability: I should have paid attention to the other posts on this one, but unfortunately I ignored them. After the very first washing, little holes appeared in the plastic backing of the sheet. Due to very limited use, the UCS's in my house have been washed very little and still have little pinholes in the bottom of the sheet. Since I was aware of this problem when I bought the sheet, I was VERY careful when washing and drying the UCS's for the first time and it did nothing to prevent the holes in the plastic lining.

and finally...

4) Cost: Each UCS cost $17.99. (You may be able to find a better price, I bought mine through Babies R Us.) So I have a $40 investment in UCS's I don't even use very often! I say save you money and buy 2-3 sheets instead.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps at least a little!

Veronica
    Mom to Eva
    Born on 6-12-03

amp Guest

Do a search on the Ultimate Crib Sheet or UCS in this forum and you'll be able to read more. Also, you could check out a site like www.babiesrus.com and see if they have one that you could check out online. I don't own one myself. We just purchased sheet savers to protect the sheets on DS's crib. You can buy them in a few sizes (just big enough to protect where their head goes, to almost crib sized). We had both the kind that just lay there on top of the sheet and the kind that you put on top of the sheet but tie onto either side of the crib rails to keep in place. I like the ones that tie personally, but we used both equally. You can buy these at BRU also. I also bought some that don't tie at Target, but they didn't last as long.

vikivoly Guest

I agree with everything Veronica said about the UCS. I bought 2 thinking it would be easier than changing a sheet "in the middle of the night", but I've never had a mid-night sheet change yet.

vpalmer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Vicki,

Why am I not surprised that we had another similar experience! :P

Veronica
    Mom to Eva
    Born on 6-12-03

cma Guest

We bought 2 back in 2001 and used them with DD everyday until she moved to her twin bed in the summer of 2003. They've held up so well to weekly washings that we're still using them with DS. They're still soft and there are no holes.

In any case, DD never really had leaks during the night...so we rarely changed her UCS during the middle of the night her first year...but as she grew they were sure handy to have when she threw up in the middle of the night with an upset stomach (like when the grandparents gave her too much of some food or when she caught a bug thru her rec classes or sit'n plays.)

Dealing with snaps was easier than dealing with a sheet and the ties of a bumper.

My PBK sheets still look like new and DS gets to use them.

I'd definitely buy the UCS again...although there seems to be issues with the ones made more recently.

HTH

Jen in Chicago Guest

Default RE: What is a Ultimate Crib Sheet WE LOVE OURS

The 2 we have are priceless!!!!! I did buy one recently for my MIL and it was not as good of quality.

I did/do change sheets in the night (DS had some WET diapers that leaked all over, and some dirty ones).

We have a spring mattress and there is NO way I can change a sheet myself, so these have saved me.

I replace the UCS every 3 or so days and wash them. We have survived with 2, but 3 would have been ideal when he was smaller.

Some friends put the lap pads in the crib for spit-up and leaks, I did not want anything loose in there so we use these.

No complaints with what we own.

lmariana Guest

Default RE: What is a Ultimate Crib Sheet WE LOVE OURS

I agree! I love our Ultimate Crib Sheet! Gabriel was a big spitter-upper in the beginning, and this thing saved our sanity!

We would put it on top of the fitted crib sheet and once he spit up on the UCS, we would just take it off and either put a fresh one on or just leave the fitted sheet alone.

This was great for me because I have a tough time changing the fiited sheets, and even more so in the beginning because of a c-section.

You can use lap pads and such, but I too don't like the idea of loose things in the crib. Gabriel was also a major wiggler, so he would have moved off of it within the first few minutes. The UCS has 6-8 snaps that attach to the crib railings so there's no heavy lifting involved.

As far as wear and tear goes, we machine wash and dry our UCS's constantly, and they are still in perfect shape. No holes or cracking.

I give these a big thumbs up!

Mariana
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

We have one UCS which I received during my baby shower. I like using it because it is extra padding on top of a crib mattress. DS' diapers rarely leak, but it was priceless the one time he had a major leak in the middle of the night.

- Louise, Mom to James (9/29/03)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast