eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Bassinet pads are different sizes -- are the sheets one size fits all?

I received a hand-me-down bassinet, and I have thoroughly soaked and washed the bassinet cover. I have tracked down the correct size replacement bassinet pad (the original one has the smell of the original owners, but otherwise looks ok; should I bother replacing it??), but I am confused about the sheets.

Unlike crib mattresses which theoretically vary only an inch or so, there's a great variety of sizes for replacement bassinet pads, so I'm confused about sheets. The pad I have is oval, and I'm assuming the bassinet sheets I've seen for sale are designed for the rectangular pads. Is this a one-size fits all situation, or do I need to seek out oval sheets, and if so, does anyone know where to get them?

The replacement pad I would get is at Baby Depot; BRU doesn't have the correct size. But Baby Depot only stocks one size of Carter's bassinet sheets.

I know it's important to get tight-fitting sheets, and I'm thinking the rectangular ones would have too much fabric at the edges, but maybe it doesn't matter since we'd only use the bassinet for the first few weeks?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Bassinet pads are different sizes -- are the sheets one size fits all?

I had an oval bassinet pad, and just used a rectangular sheet that measured the right size. Just make sure any extra sheet is tucked under and not bunched up on top. Bassinet sheets do come in different sizes, so you have to look at the package to make sure you are buying the right size. I think mine was 16" x 32" which was hard to find, but I did find them eventually.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

amp Guest

Default RE: Bassinet pads are different sizes -- are the sheets one size fits all?

We had an oval mattress too, and just used the regular bassinet sheet for the right length of mattress pad. It worked fine for us.

Thanks -- do you remember where you found that size? I'm forgetting the width of mine at the moment, but the pad is 31.5" long and all the sheets I've seen in the stores are 29" long maximum. Maybe I need to order online? Now I'm now toying with the idea of just getting a pack n' play with a bassinet, which DH wants anyway and which would be good for travel and grandmothers' houses, and skipping spending the extra on the bassinet pad and sheets...

Thanks! :) Now I just need to track down the right length sheet.

jennifer13 Guest

I had a similar set up- I found a sheet that was close but not exact, off by an inch or so. I don't think they make oval sheets. But I really didn't worry because those first few weeks the baby really doesn't move around much, i just made sure the sheet was well tucked in and by the time DD could move she was in the crib.

Jennifer
    Mom to Norah 5/23/03

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mother actually bought them for me, either at Babies R Us or at Carter's Outlet. I think BRU. I couldn't find any online so I had to send her in search of them as she has more baby-type stores near her.

If you have the room a Pack 'n' Play with bassinet and changing station is a good idea, it definitely has a longer lifespan than a bassinet alone.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Jennymarie Guest

Just a suggestion if you haven't found anything yet -- I'm using the carrycot for my stroller as a bassinet. The pad is long and narrow - I'm not sure of the exact size. I just bought a two sets of queen sized pillow protectors in a nice soft 250 thread count at Marshalls for $6.99. They are too long and too wide for this particular bassinet, but all I did was was wash them in hot water to shrink them as much as possible, and then stitch the bottom and the side where the zipper ends -- voila! I trimmed the unused edge to make them neater, but you don't really even have to do this. For $14, I have four tight fitting sheets. I'm just using one of those vinyl backed pads underneath it -- the pillow cover fits so snugly it holds the pad in place. Alternatively, you may be able to find quilted pillow protectors that are hypo-allergenic and have a plastic backing.

I wanted the zippered edge for safety, but you could probably do the same thing with a typical queen or king sized pillowcase.

And if you don't have a sewing machine, even one of those handy-stitch things would do a job like this.