Default basic bedding questions

I'm due in just over 3 weeks, and we have a crib, but no linens! The crib we have is the Ikea Diktad with a foam mattress. I'm a little lost as to what to get, so I am hoping someone could help me with a few questions:

Do I need anything other than sheets and mattress covers? (Eventually we'll need a blanket, but summertime in California doesn't really require one yet.) Will the mattress cover completely protect the mattress, or do I need something underneath it?

How many sheets and mattress covers are recommended? I've read I should get 3-4 fitted sheets, but I haven't seen estimates of how many mattress covers I should have on hand.

Any recommendations on good mattress covers? They seem to range in price from $5 to $20

TIA!

Jen

amp Guest

Default RE: basic bedding questions

You can do whatever you feel comfortable with, but here is what we used.

We put a waterproof mattress pad under the crib sheet. Not necessary, as most crib mattresses are waterproof. Our mainly served as a bit of padding between the crib sheet and the mattress. We went with the cutely ones w/ the quilted bears/blocks/ducks from BRU & Target, but those were crap! I ended up buying a slightly more expensive one (at BRU that was Simmons or Sealy, without the cute design and it works much better at staying on the mattress.

We also used a sheet saver type item (may or may not have ties, and come in various sizes) over our crib sheet, and under DS when he slept. This can help protect in case your child spits up. We also turned ours vertically when DS was a newborn, so we could catch spit up and diaper leaks, and then just horizontally when he was a bit older and we weren't gettting diaper leaks as often. We had 3-4 of these. Baby spits up, just change the sheet saver, rather than the whole sheet in the middle of the night.

So, I like having 2 mattress pads (waterproof), 3-4 sheet savers, and 2-4 fitted crib sheets.

You may not want a blanket, per se, but you may want to use blankets to swaddle, even in CA. Babies are often very comforted and soothed by being swaddled.

mama2galpals Guest

i agree with the pp. i would definitely have receiving blankets on hand to swaddle the baby (wrap them like a little tortilla). or even just to cover them with a lightweight cotton blanket.

as for the bedding i'd go with a good quality mattress cover and get either one or two of those. i'd have three sheets on hand.

some people don't do bumpers at all because of a concern for safety issues but i found that my dds liked bumpers in the cradle and then in the crib (but nothing too overstuffed). i know that bru has some that are very thin.

rita
    mommy to
    olivia '97
    stella '00
    emma '03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
    --Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

vdrake71 Guest

We have 2 fitted sheets and 2 Ultimate crib sheet protectors. I honestly have never had to change the fitted sheets because the sheet protectors catches everything.

We also have a crib bummer. My DS is one of those sleepers who like to be pressed against the bed so the bummer really works for us. I also think that he likes the cozy feeling that the bummer gives him.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went a similar route to the first poster. I have 3 fitted sheets, 2 mattress pads, and a couple of sheet savers.

If you really want to scrimp, you could do 2 sheets, 1 pad and skip the sheet savers, but plan on doing more laundry in that case. It also depends on how many diaper leaks you have and how often baby spits up. Also, if you change diapers in the crib, plan for accidents.

I HIGHLY recommend the Land's End mattress pad. I tried 3 others, and they all were junk. 2 fell apart in the wash and 1 shrunk really badly. The Land's End is more $, but totally worth it imo. It fits really well, and holds up well in the wash.

You definately need some blankets, even in CA. Babies generally need one layer more than adults do, and you'll want them to swaddle with. Also, they come in handy for spit up, diaper changes, etc. The Carters ones from BRU are good.

Our mattress is not waterproof (it's just a foam mattress with a thin cotton/poly cover). So should I put something underneath the waterproof mattress pad, or is that overkill?

amp Guest

I think most mattress pads are pretty waterproof. If it were me, and I was concerned about how well it would stop water, I'd test it out on my counter first. Prewash as normal and then test it with a tiny pour of water on the mattress and see if it soaks thru or not. If so, either try another brand, or buy one of the full size sheet/mattress protectors you can get at BRU and put that under it. Otherwise, I'd guess the waterproof mattress pad would do it, but I'd definitely at least use that!