Default safe to dye crib sheets for toddler?

I have some PBK crib sheets and a bed skirt that need some jazzing up colorwise. Does anyone know if it's safe for me to dye the sheets in bolder colors for DS to use? He is using the crib as a toddler bed now. I was thinking about using RIT DYE and changing the colors from sage green to lime green for the bed skirt and royal blue for the crib sheets.
    Thanks for any info you can share,
    Cheryl :)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: safe to dye crib sheets for toddler?

As far as safety, I cannot imagine why it wouldn't be. However, I wouldn't use RIT. If they are cotton I would definitely recommend DYLON (I have found it at Joann's Fabrics and some have said Walmart has it). It is much more permanent. RIT almost seems like temporary, to me.

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Thanks for the rec for Dylon! :) As far as safety, I wondered if such dyes would be a bit harsh on newborn skin.

Thanks again,
    Cheryl :)

zapmansmom Guest

I would not recomend it. I use to work for a clothing company that did overdying on childrens cloths. They sent their items out to be died and than they would have them laundried and sometime the dye would still bleed. There are alot of very harsh things in dye and I would not take the chance. Do a Google search on Crib Sheets and you may find what you are looking for. Or you can have them made.

Claudine

Zacharys Mom

Thanks Claudine. I will follow my gut and just get new ones, plus I can always use extra anyways. :) There is a creative streak in me that was curious about dying but I'll stick to play scarves and play if safe with the sheets.

Thanks again,
    Cheryl