kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Buttons on baby clothes-safety concern?

Hi, everyone!

When DD was little, I don't remember any of her clothes having buttons on them. Everything was something that you could slip over her head or had snaps.

DS needs some new clothes, because he doesn't have any hand-me-downs in his current size. I noticed when I was at Target that there were some really cute shirts, but they had buttons down the front. I bought one just because it was so cute, but now I am considering taking it back. For the record, some of his hand-me-down clothes had buttons on them as well.

Wouldn't this be a safety concern because of a possible choking hazard? Am I just being overly concerned and making a mountain out of a molehill? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

malie Guest

Default RE: Buttons on baby clothes-safety concern?

A well secured button of the same size is no more of a choking hazard then a well secured snap of the same size. I think the key is size and well secured. The smaller the button the less likely (with as your child grows) that it would be an issue and any button that is well secured are less likely to come off and be an issue no matter what the size. My biggest concern would be buttons on sleeves since in theory those would be the easiest to get near ones month

However there is really something to be said for peace of mind, if it truly bothers you, take the shirts back and get rid of the stress. Otherwise get out your needle and thread and add a few strong stitchs so you can feel more secure and so the buttons are more secure

kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Buttons on baby clothes-safety concern?

Malie,

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought of the snaps being a hazard if they fell off. That puts things in perspective. I love his little shirt that I got at Target, so I will probably keep it!

Thanks again!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)