Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Just how cold does it get in North Carolina? Clothes?

We're now living 2 hours south of Raleigh and I'm just wondering what kind of clothing I should buy for dd this fall/winter. she is 5 months now, so I'm just wondering. Living in California, it was pretty easy, but I'm just wondering how cold and how warm the clothes I need to buy?

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Just how cold does it get in North Carolina? Clothes?

It gets cold. It doesn't STAY cold, but December, January, and February are winter months. It would be worth having a bunting (I had the Land's End fleece one for Abigail, which was great, and you'll need an assortment of long-sleeved things and long pants. I tended to layer Abigail-- a one-piece or long-sleeved shirt and pants over a onesie, then a sweater if she needed one. Hats, too.

Send me your new contact info! :)

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

Tammy it does get very cold in NC. I agree with Rachel's suggestion.

It usually starts to get cold in October/November and get warm again in April.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

OH BOY...that's what i was afraid of. i thought i left all this behind when i left canada :(

what about her feet?

Is a bunting something that takes place of a winter coat?

what about for pajamas at night? Are the footless ones (from gap) okay? Any specific suggestions would be MUCHLY appreciated, especially since we are shopping in raleigh saturday and would like ideas if we see anything.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

malie Guest

I think cold is a relative term and different areas of NC get colder then others. Will you have days where it's under 30 for the whole day yes but you won't go from Nov to Mar with it being under 30 the entire time as you might in a state that is further north. We get the occasional freak ice storm and most winters have some snow (but there are times when it is warm enough the next day for the snow to melt).

In the end it also depends on just how many outdoor activities you do and how warm you keep your house and your car. Layering is without a doubt the way to go. Fall can be a lot tricker then winter, because you can start with relatively cool mornings (40's) and be in the 60's by mid afternoon (whereas true winter if you start in the 30's and climb to just about 50 or high 40's, you are probably not feeling like you need to change all that much).

If you want to check out actual temps http://www.weather.com/outlook/sport.../monthly/27601 should give you the averages (and if you change the number at the end to your zip code (27601 is downtown Raleigh) you might actually be able to pull in the averages for your immediate area)

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hi Tammy!

We would love to run into you on Saturday - where are you going shopping?! :-) We'll be happy to show you around the baby shops!

In winter, I would definitely cover up baby's feet while sleeping. When Tom was tiny, it was easy by using footed sleepers. Now I think I may order the slippers from One Step Ahead (I think) that babies cannot pull of their feet along with Baby Gap long sleeve, long pant pajamas. (I love Baby Gap - they fit him perfectly.)

BTW - there is a Carter's outlet in Morrisville (right by the RDU airport.) They are having a big sale at the moment. Let me know if you need directions. I'll think of some other shops for you to check out and post later.

Take care and e-mail me soon, girl!

lisa, check your email

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, the bunting takes the place of a coat. It's great. The Land's End one is a zip-up thing that covers her from neck to feet. The hands and feet fold over if you want them to be completely covered. Actually, come to think of it, she's welcome to Abigail's from last winter. What size is she in now? Ours is in great shape. It's pink. Want it?

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

If you'd like more company I'll meet you too. I need yo check out fall/winter clothes for Martie

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Tammy - I didn't see anything from you in my inbox!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast