Denyse Guest

Default Do they make bigger sleepsacks for older infants?

I'd really like to have a couple for this winter but DS is big boy and I don't think most of the ones I've seen would fit him. Does anyone know if they make bigger ones? DS is 6 mos old now and almost 20 lbs and 24.5 in long. I'm looking for winter pj's to fit him through April.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Do they make bigger sleepsacks for older infants?

Halo sleepsacks come in much larger sizes. I wouldn't spend too much money on them, though. They get less practical once baby is standing and cruising (because they do a lot of this in the crib) - you may be better off with footed fleece PJs (Baby Gap has them) or PJs and socks. So you may end up not using them much at all.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm still using the Halo sleep sacks with my almost 14 month old and they work well. He is a little on the small side, but the large sleep sacks fit him and he has lots of growing room (especially length wise.) Even though he's walking, I use one every time he sleeps, otherwise he would never stay covered!

I disagree. I think that Halo sleepsacks are valuable even in the larger sizes. DS has been cruising for months and walking for a month. He can actually walk perfectly fine across the room while wearing his sleepsack so standing and milling about in the crib isn't a problem. Sleepsacks are the only way that DS would stay covered and it's part of our routine. DS is 18.5 pounds and between 27 and 28 inches. The medium sleepsacks are still plenty big. We also have a large. He can wear it but there is lots of growing room. I think they're great!
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm just curious, but what's the advantage to using a sleep sack vs a footed sleeper? Especially with an older babe.

Thanks,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Probably not much of one at night, but I especially like it for nap time. I can just put a sleep sack on over his clothes and know that he'll stay covered. I think a footed sleeper would be kind of bulky over clothes.

I suspect many babies nap just fine without any covers, but we got into the habit of using a sleep sack when Colin wasn't sleeping well and we were worried that perhaps he was waking because he was cold. It didn't really make a difference, but now, putting on the sleep sack has become part of his naptime routine so he'll probably be wearing them 'till he's three! (Just kidding, but I'm not sure how I'm going to wean him off of this one!)

I think the advantage is the extra layer. I view footed sleepers as pajamas. I wear pajamas and have blankets when I sleep. DS won't keep a blanket over him so he has his sleep sack as his blanket. I always dress him in a footed sleeper with a sleep sack over it. We have cotton sleep sacks in the summer and fleece sleep sacks in the winter. We have air conditioning on all summer and the heat doesn't circulate upstairs during the winter the best. I did try footed fleece sleepers during the winter a few times (without the sleep sacks) but DS seemed too hot and didn't sleep as well. The sleeveless nature of the Halo sleepsacks helps prevent overheating. Plus, as Karen said also, sleep sacks are part of our routine. If, for example, both are dirty and we try to go without the sleep sack, DS generally doesn't sleep as well.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)