Default newborn and up dresses?

Well I still dont know what Lil'bit is gonna be but everyone keeps telling me girl....so Im going with that for now. DO you know of any places that sell cute dresses? I want anything from warm and comfortable to cute and frilly, but have no idea where to look as very few places seem to have dresses for newborn and up. I plan to swaddle and our home is always hot so the little one being cold isnt an issue. Any suggestions? Thanks!

luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: newborn and up dresses?

We received TONS of clothing for my dd when she was born and also for her christening so you may not want to get too crazy yet. It was really a blessing because I didn't know the sex of my baby either and couldn't get enthused to buy anything gender neutral (then I panicked in the last weeks and bought a few onesies and gowns). Of her dresses, I love the Ralph Lauren and Little Me best. Carters makes lots of cute dresses and they're so cheap if you go to the outlet. If you're near a Saks, Neiman Marcus or Bloomies you'll have a good selection. Also, I found a few cute ones at Jacadi.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a girl. They are so fun to dress!
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

April Cornell has some of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen. A little pricey, but the quality is amazing.

Hanna Andersson has some cute play stuff.

One thing you need to consider is that it's a complete PITA to dress a newborn in tights. That was one of the reasons I didn't start putting dresses on Sophie till it was warm out.

You will likely just be using sleepers for the first several weeks anyway. It's unbelievable how much laundry you do in the beginning!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Check stores like Marshalls and TJMaxx, I found a lot of great dresses there very cheap.

Also check eBay, you can find brand new stuff, and stuff that has only had the tags off and been washed but never worn. That's because people buy too much stuff for their cute little baby girls and they never get to wear them before they outgrow them. Don't ask me how I know this hahaha.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

cinrein Guest

I love Gymboree's clothing. The good thing about them is that you have 6 mos to return unworn clothing with your receipt. I pre-buy and just leave the tags on. If Anna outgrows the clothing before she gets a chance to wear them, I can just return it. Also good for you in case "everyone" is wrong. All but 2 people thought I was having a boy!

Cindy
    Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love classic smocked dresses like this:

www.houseofhattenoutlet.com

Just a warning - a friend has told me that dresses are great until baby starts to crawl (they get tangled in them). Now all of her dresses are relegated to the back of the closet, coming out only for special occasions. So you might not want to buy too big. You will get tons of gifts, too. We got tons of boy clothes (more than we could wear, even after I returned everything with a gift receipt or store tag), and people love to buy girl clothes even more than boy clothes!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

peanut4us Guest

ooh! I just bought DD her first April Cornell. I had never heard of her before and come to find out, she has a store in Austin, not far from where I work. So i went and there was a 50% off sale. So i bought the most gorgeous pink gingham dress for easter/12 mo pix. Hubby didn't think that $20 was so great a deal, but I sold him on it when I dangled the dress right off of the floor and had him picture Sara toddling around in it!

I really don't care for the Carter's dresses. it seems like they never fit her very well. And everyone else has got the exact same dress.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This is absolutely true! I bought a ton of dresses for Sarah last year, and then she didn't walk until almost 19 months, so I ended up returning a lot of them.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

elvisfan Guest

Ross is a great place to buy name brands for less. They always have Gymboree, Carters and Osh Kosh merchandise.