Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the difference between 24 M and 2T?

What is the difference in sizing between 24 months and 2T? I was looking at Carters PJs and there appears to be only 1 pound more in the weight range in a 2T versus a 24 month. They appear to be a little longer. But, this is making me wonder whether kids often wear only 24 months OR 2T and then go directly to 3T. What's your experience with this?
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Default RE: What's the difference between 24 M and 2T?

Kathleen went from 18-24 months to a 2T and then to a 3T (which is what she is in now). She actually wore a 2T for a while.

The way I understood it, for brands that have both sizes, 2T is the next biggest size after 24M. Some brands don't have 24 months and thus 2T would be comparable (they go from 12-18 to 2T and so on). The pound/height difference between 24M and 2T in some brands is very very close or even identical.

I probably made no sense, but HTH! :)

The difference for brands that have both sizes is that 24M has room for a diaper and 2T does not.

Although these days with disposable diapers being so thin, that may not be significant.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

I never knew that! At Gymboree the saleswoman said the difference between their 3T and 3 is that the 3T has diaper room. Oh, why do they make this so confusing!? Can't there just be a universal sizing chart?!!! While looking at shorts in Target today I was wondering why the 24 months shorts looked bigger than the 2T...now I know!

Lisa

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Like the other have said it tends to be diaper room. But honestly, it totally depends on the brand! Sarah can still wear 18-24 month leggings from Gymboree (even over a cloth diaper!). But mostly she wears 2T pants and 3 or 3T shirts.

Generally, things without the T are slimmer than things with the T. (A 3 is slimmer than a 3T). And once you hit 2 or 2T sizes, then the clothes usually only tend to get longer in the leg length and not much larger anywhere else. I started buying lots of 3/3T and even 4/4T shirts last year since the overall size difference is very small. Pants are another story!

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I remember that Jake wore his summer clothes for 2 years, because the second time he was out of diapers. So the 24M fit him twice even though he had grown. They were long on him the first time, and like actual shorts the second time.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

"The difference for brands that have both sizes is that 24M has room for a diaper and 2T does not."

Actually the T in a size means it's sized for a diaper. So a 4 is thinner than a 4T.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I compared two pairs of BabyGap kakhi's and the 24 months had an elastic waistband in the back, and the 2T did not. So when I stretched the 24 months, it was actually bigger than the 2T. There's no way Gap xT's are going to fit my son until he starts wearing underwear.

mcades Guest

I did not find the difference to be diaper space, though that's also what I thought it would be. Since my son has been following clothing sizes consistently, when he was 1 last winter I bought him several pairs of 2T pants on clearance to be saved for this year. Well, I learned this winter that it turns out that another difference between 24 mo & 2T is a few inches in length!! As a result, my short 2 year old swims in the 2T pants & I had to go back out & find 24 mo for him instead!!!

Michelle

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I should have said, I found that with my gap 24/2T comparison, too. 2T was several inches longer, but thinner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast