helaina Guest

Default How long/often do newborns wear those non-scratch mittens?

I've seen those little cotton mittens for newborns to prevent them from scratching their eyes. Are these really necessary? How often should they wear them? I'm afraid that one might come off while the baby is asleep and end up in his mouth. Can someone please explain these mittens to me?

Tori_s mom Guest

Default RE: How long/often do newborns wear those non-scratch mittens?

I don't know if everyone would consider them necessary. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I couldn't stand for Tori to scratch herself. I don't remember them coming off much because she wasn't moving around. I would use them whenever she was trying to scratch herself. Somedays she seemed more intent on scratching than others. :) We had her wear them off and on until we started cutting her nails around 4 weeks old.

Tasha

SAHM to Tori (3/11/04)

rrosen is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We never used them. I used a baby size emory board to gently smooth DD's nails. She never scratched herself so, I guess it worked well.

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We used them for a few days while we were still in the hospital, but I think that was it. DS's nails were long when he was born--everyone kept saying it was because he was late, who knows. For some reason, the nurses would not help with clipping his nails and I was really anxious about doing it. He scratched his face several times in those early days. I tried a baby emery board, but it wasn't really working for me. Eventually, I got comfortable enough to use the baby nail clippers while DS slept in my lap after nursing. I also peeled his nails a few times and even resorted to biting them a little, something I said I would NEVER do. Never say never, I guess.

I'd pick up a cheap set with two or three pairs at Wal-mart or Target or someplace similar. If baby is swaddled, as they often are in the early days, it would be hard to get that mitten up to his or her mouth.

HTH!
    Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

AvasMama Guest

I don't remember where I heard this, so I am not sure whether it's true, but I read or was told that those mittens were choking hazards so I didn't buy any. It's a good thing I didn't because Ava wouldn't even let me put the attached fold-over mittens that came on her nightgowns over her hands. Yes, she scratched herself a few times (and still does) but it wasn't bad.

I chewed off her nails until she was big enough for me to feel comfortable cutting them with the baby nail clippers. Sounds gross, I know, but it's incredibly effective!

Robyn & Ava

The little snap-shirt that the hospital put her in had those "fold over sleeves" that cover the hands. So that kept her "safe" the first few days.

After that, we didn't really worry about it. I have a pair of baby nail scissors (as opposed to clippers; very easy to use when they are sleeping) and started using those w/in the first week. I tried chewing them off and emory boards, but neither worked for me.

FWIW, if the baby does scratch itself, the scratch heals really quickly.

HTH!