Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Serious shoe frustration

I'm so frustrated right now & I'm hoping someone will help me. I've read about every thread I can find about new walker shoes & I feel so lost. DD has only ever worn Robeez. We live in Arizona so it isn't like we have harsh winters but I'd like to get her something more "sturdy" & weather resistant, but still with a good, flexible sole for her developing little feet. Something like a navy Mary Jane or Tennis shoe. I looked at shoebuy.com but there are SO many! I looked at Lands End & LL Bean but didn't really see anything. We have a SR outlet in our AZ Mills mall but I was really unimpressed (could be I didn't know what to look for??). PLEASE, can someone help me find something that won't break my bank?? FWIW, I used to think Robeez were expensive until I started looking around! I can't believe so many infant/toddler shoes cost more than I spend for MINE! Yikes!! TIA.

ETA: Has anyone tried the LL Bean Comfort Mocs for little kids?? They look like they have a thick sole but say they're flexible?! I don't know what to think of that.
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Default RE: Serious shoe frustration

The Lands End mary janes are very flexible, but they don't have a padded area around the ankle. I don't know how important that is to you. They are $30. We have them in two colours and love them.

Keds really aren't flexible enough for first shoes.

Really, you need to go to someplace like Stride Rite or Nordstrom and have your DD's feet properly measured. Just because you have them measured there, doesn't mean you have to make a purchase.

I KNOW it's hard to stomach $40 shoes, but for the first couple of pair, it's really imperative that you have a good, sturdy yet flexible shoe. It could mean the difference between long time foot problems and happy little feet. You need to remember that your DD isn't old enough to verbalise whether or not the shoes feel right.

As far as the LLB Comfort Mocs go, I would be concerned that you can't really get a perfect fit for a first shoe, since there aren't any laces or buckles.

Elefantens, Jumping Jacks, Ecco are all good first shoes. A lot of Mommies here also love Preschoolians. Personally, I'm not a fan of them. I do believe, however, there is a co-op going on for them right now.

I believe that somebody here just posted a thread today about Ecco first walkers that they got a really good deal on.

Good luck

-m

Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have also been looking for first walkers, and was overwhelmed. We're in the same boat - only Robeez and totally wigged out at the price of kids shoes.

I went to Tar-jay and could not get any shoes to stay on DD's feet - that's when I knew I needed professional help!

Take your DD to a shoe store and try on shoes - this helped me immensely. Ask for the first walker-type shoes, which limits your choices quite a bit. We went to one store, and tried about 3 pairs before Sophia decided she'd had enough. This helped us figure out sizing of several different brands. I realized that velcro was out, that shoes with fabric insoles were too hard to put on DD's feet, and that anything remotely stiff was out as well. Do not get anything with a stiff or thick sole until DD is walking well. Lace up boots with leather insoles were my first choice. Once we figured this out, I went on line and got the best price. Get something versatile, and just get one pair for now. Seeing the shoes on DD's feet and watching her walk in them really helped me decide.

Good luck!

Buffys Mommy Guest

We did a lot of looking for first shoes as well. Sarah spent a lot of time in Robeez but was such an early walker that I wanted something a little more for when we were outside. After a lot of consideration, we chose Jumping Jacks. This is the pair we purchased for Sarah.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16733.jpg

They were not cheap. But the brown goes with almost everything so right now they are her only pair. We bought them in August and they still fit, but don't have much room left. For her next shoes I'm buying the same pair in a size up and some black stride rites (from the outlets) for her Christmas outfits. I'm that happy with the shoes.

I found the jumping jacks to have a very flexible sole. It did not take Sarah long to figure out how to walk well in them. And we get compliments on the cute little ladybugs whenever she wears them.

Tammie
    Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

mamagoosie Guest

I totally know what you mean. We had the same problem and ended up going with Stride-Rite t-straps. We bought ONE pair of basic navy t-straps and she wore them with everything. Though not cheap, when you think about the "cost per wear" it takes some of the sting out. DD wore them every single day for 3 months. When I think about how much I've spent on outfits she only wears 3-4 times....

We have the Lands End mocs and like them a lot, but I wouldn't recommend them for a new walker.

Try E-bay for stride rite. I've had some luck with "New in Box" shoes--and have paid around $25

Good luck

mattiew Guest

My DD wore socks or was barefoot most of her first year (she started walking a little before 11 months), after that when shoes were required she wore a shoe similar to Robeez and white Keds Mary Janes (style Angel). She has worn this same style of Keds mary janes for a year and LOVES them. It is difficult to get her to wear anything else (she did wear Stride Rite sandals this summer). I love these shoes - they are very lightweight, extremely flexible, easy to clean, go with everything, don't look too clunky, and are reasonably priced. This particular style is lighter weight and more flexible than the other Keds styles and can be hard to find. I have purchased them from Babies R Us, Keds.com, and Shoebuy.com. They are much cuter on and IRL than on the websites...I really think you will like them!

http://www.keds.com/images/us/local/...4810_1_alv.jpg

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_pr...D/p_1/st_38275
    http://www.keds.com/shopping/product...iProductID=533

HTH!
    Carrie

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you all so very much. I'm going to get her feet measured this afternoon & feel much better about some choices for her. :)
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

I got DD black Mary Janes from the SR outlet near us. They also had navy. $25, can't beat that with a stick. Plus, I think she walks just as well with them on as when she's barefoot.

heidi_timms Guest

My favorites are the MJs from the Stride rite outlet-we have the brown nubuck and they go with everything.

Nordstroms is currently having their half yearly sale for women and children and you can get some good buys there.

We just got some Elephantens for $24.99 at Marshall's which is an amazing deal!

We also have L'amour shoes and Bear Feet shoes. The Bear Feet shoes are sooo flexible, but can be pricey.

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey
    4/03

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Baby Merrells mocs, they have a very flexible sole, at least as flexible as Stride Rite, and I found them easy to get on. We got them for $25 at an outlet, but they are $30 at Nordstrom which I think is relatively reasonable and you would get more help with fitting there.

We also have the "baby smart" shoes from Target which are made by SR, have nice flexible soles and are $15. There is no sales help, which I suppose could be a problem but since they seemed to fit him great, I got them and he walks great in them.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009