Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phoebe Guest

Default Is black patent leather the traditional easter shoe?

That's what I always thought, but maybe I'm wrong. Last night I was in Target, and they had some cute leather shoes in pink or white (they looked like bear feet knock-offs I think). They were really cute, but I'm looking for shiny black shoes. Is it just me....?

Mary
    Daisy 3
    Owen 19 months

Default RE: Is black patent leather the traditional easter shoe?

We always wear white shoes(or no shoes) with Easter dresses. Black just looks harsh with the white/pastel dresses. Black patent is reserved for winter/holiday. You should be able to find great deals on black patent right now though since spring styles are coming out.

Niki

AdoptChina Guest

When I think Easter I think white or light shoes

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Patent leather is a traditional spring shoe--couture brings out patent leather for their Spring and Summer lines. Some people use it as a holiday shoe but traditionally it's for warm weather. I have no idea why. I think it's adorable with fancy dresses, but it depends on the dress--if there was any dark trim, it would look super (I'm thinking of my own easter outfit I loved when I was six, white dress with navy piping and navy flowers above the smocking with white tights and black patent mary janes). White patent would also be cute.

Sigh, I have a boy, so I can't shop for patent leather in any case...

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was always dressed in white shoes for Easter as a child and dress my girls in white shoes as well.

My mother always said white shoes from Easter to Labor Day and black shoes after.

I prefer white shoes for Easter, but sometimes if the temperature is so low, white shoes can look out-of-place to me. I also prefer white leather shoes (I buy the girls the Footmates english sandal each summer to wear with dresses). White patent shoes look super dressy to me, and don't seem as versatile as white leather.

But IMHO, black patent shoes (MJs esp.) are a classic and can be worn any time of year.

writeleigh Guest

I always think of black patent as coming out in spring. But I've definitely seen it in winter too (with holiday outfits). Now a days it's probably okay at either time of year.

Phoebe Guest

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Maybe I will go for white this year; she certainly would get more wear out of that than dressy black. The white and pink ones at Target were cute, but not very flexible. Decisions, decisions....

Mary
    Daisy 4/01
    Owen 6/03

dairymama Guest

I think that black is a little harsh for spring as well, we always use black patent for Christmas and white or any other coordinating color for Easter.

Shelly

* BTW this is my first ever post.... Hope it works!!

Mama to Ms. Vivian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast