twodogs Guest

Default Snap or Zip up the front Onesies??

My baby is wearing a molding helmet for plagiocephaly, and I am looking for long sleeved onesies that snap or zip up the front. It's hard to pull almost any other onesies over her head with the helmet on, even the Gymboree onesies that have a few snaps in the back. Thanks for any help!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Snap or Zip up the front Onesies??

Carters makes some snap up the front ones- they call them creepers.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

hardysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

UGH. (((HUGS)))

One of my twins did a DOC (actually 2) from 3.5 to 10 mo. She had plagio and scaphy from in-utero constraint. We went to Cranial Tech in Dallas (about 5 hours from home with weekly adjustments). She has been out of it a year this month and looks great. I am so glad I did it. If you need any support, please let me know.

There really isn't such a thing as a onsie which will go on over a helmet easily. Even the ones with snaps/buttons are hard. You always feel like you are tugging it too hard or it gets turned funny and stuck and it makes most babies pretty cranky.

Really, the easiest thing is to learn to put the baby into clothes feet first. With most baby clothes, like onsies, it is pretty easy with a little practice. Anything with 3 buttons down the back offers plenty of room. It also works with the onsies with the folds along each side of the neck. Really, those were my favorite. Just slide their legs through the head hole and pull it up over the hips. With a very young baby, you have to thread their arms into the armholes, but even a young toddler catches on quickly and will help. I know it sounds hard, but during this journey, you will learn many new tricks. I still dress Blythe that way sometimes, just out of habit.

For warmth, we added a lot of layers. Hanna pearl snap cartigans were a lifesaver and are on sale right now.

I avoided the onsies with the snaps on the side of the neck, but anything bigger was easy after a few awkward attempts. The side of neck one (I am thinking about a couple I had from Gymbo) were just too small to dress feet-first and the neck wasn't very stretchy.

Do you have a boy or girl? How old?

If you have a girl, Zutano dresses are great because the button all the way down the front. Seems like we lived in Zutano during that phase. The stuff is cute, too. I also started buying Hanna during the helment because the baby playdresses are fairly easy to get into without pulling the dress over the head. Le Top also had a lot of things we could wear.

I think it was during the helmet deal that I started getting a little nuts with baby clothes- As if she had on a GREAT outfit, no one would pay so much attention to the helmet (which I had all painted up, lol)

Anyway, Blythe was banded over the summer until late-winter so we did all types of weather. You'll come up with something that works. Some people find it easiest to just put them in a onsie during the bath hour without the helmet and keep it on until the next bath. I mean, you'll be giving your child a full shampoo/bath EVERY day. They'll be the cleanest kid in town.

If you haven't found it yet, join the Yahoo group for Plagio. It is the best resource for these types of questions.

Hope this helps

Stephanie
    Blythe and Charlotte, 21 mo
    Hardy, 4 yrs

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How old is your baby? I am about to take a big load of stuff to Goodwill and I believe there are at least 4-5 button or snap front onsies in there. They are short sleeved and small in size -either 0-3 months or 3-6 months. I'd be happy to ship them to you instead of including them in the Goodwill donations if you think you could use them. Just let me know.

hth
    Jenn

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh poor baby! I don't know much about plagiocephaly but I hope she gets better soon.

I know Baby Gap has long and short sleeved bodysuits that button down the front or side (kimono-style).

HTH

twodogs Guest

Thank you all for your help! My baby is 6 months old and very tall, so unfortunately I won't be able to use the small onesies (thanks though!!). I will try dressing her from the feet up and see how it goes. It is so cold here, I am afraid to put her in dresses and tights, so I usually put her in pants. But, I will have to pick up a few Zutano dresses and try them out.

Thanks for all the help and support. We hope this will only be for 2 months since we were able to make a significant improvement by repositioning for 6 weeks prior to getting the helmet.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The zutano dresses have matching leggings that can go under them, like the Hanna playdress sets. Check out http://mommy2reese.com/baby.asp for the zutano baby line.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

And they have them (dresses in leggings) in velour too, which would be good for cold weather, as the cotton ones are just too thin for a serious winter.

hardysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Try theredballoon.com for Zutano

6 mo is a great age to band. You'll be done in a snap.

Not only does Zutano have velour, they have a line called cozies which are thick sherpa fleece. VERY toasty. I was so hooked on their stuff. I wish they went past 24 mo.

The most complete stock I found was from www.theredballoon.com , a neat little store in Chicago with a nice online store.

Even if you don't buy from them, Zutano is very mix and match so you can see all the patterns. Since they are up North, they have a better selection of the cold-weather stuff than most.

Stephanie