Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Can someone tell me about Umi shoes and what happened to Elefanten?

I bought a pair of Elefanten shoes from Hanna Andersson awhile ago for my son that we just loved. It looks like Hanna is not selling them anymore. Is there another good online place to buy them? Do they sell them at Nordstoms? Also can someone tell me about the quality of Umi shoes? They have some on the Nordstroms site that look cute. I am looking for something with a flexable sole that are not too heavy for my 6 year old with very small feet (he wears a size 10 1/2 right now).

Thanks,

Jessica.

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Can someone tell me about Umi shoes and what happened to Elefanten?

I think Elefanten went out of business. Bummer, huh?

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
    Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

audball Guest

Elefanten closed their business last year, I think. Umi is the American division of Elefanten. Ebay or zappos.com has been the best place to look for me for Elefantens. Also, you can just do a google search and usually a small boutique that ships pops up as well. Their availability is really hit or miss, particularly in a specific style or size.

However, we just got a pair of Umis for DD from a small boutique that had a sale (hugsnkisses). The shoes are awesome! Nicely constructed, beautiful colors, and the sole is nice and flexible (a little more give than Elefanten, which I thought was a little too stiff- particularly their boots!).

Another brand to consider is Jumping Jacks. And I love Keens for kids! :)

luluc Guest

I believe the president of Elefanten USA started Umi, Mark Kohlenberg. I just got a pair of sandals for DD and they are very nice. About the same quality as her Elefantens. Nice soft leather insoles and flexible soles. If you are looking for flexible soles I would also try Eccos. I don't know what their bigger sizes are like but I love our Ecco boots in size 5 and 6.

Edited to add that www.kidstockmontana.com still has some Elefantans on sale.

jakobsmommie Guest

When my Mom went to Germany last year she asked about them. She used to always buy me Elefanten's when she went to Germany. Last year, she couldn't find them.

The sales lady there said that they went out of business but sold everything to the company that makes Clarks shoes.

I've now seen them sold as Umi

The quality seems pretty good to me, but I haven't bought any Umi's yet.

Personally, I still look for closeout Elefanten's.

I just LOVED that brand. I also like Daumling - another euro brand.
    Primigi is popular too, but my DD's chubby feet won't fit them very well.

baby Guest

Just wanted to tell you guys that they sell Elefanten here in Israel.
    This is a pic of my daughters first pair of shoes. They are adorable and great qaulity but very pricy.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32368.jpg

Ashley

lotsofjoy Guest

They still sell them in a lot of places. But they aren't being manufacturerd any more. So if you know where to get the styles you like, I suggest buying ahead because once they are gone, they are gone for good.

Sarah1 Guest

Audrey has a pair of Umi shoes, and they are fantastic. Very comfortable (flexible sole like you're looking for), good quality. The pair she has were fairly expensive ($50) but nowhere near the cost of say, Naturinos or some of the other European brands. HTH :)

They did go out of business and Umi is a shoot off, but just wanted to let you know that Elefanten has been bought by someone else and they are making shoes again. I hope hope hope they stick to what they no. I would hate for them to ruin a good thing.

I don't know when, but hopefully we should be seeing Elefantens again.

nitaghei Guest

I am less than happy with my experience with Umi shoes. They look great, and the soles are nice and flexible. But the pair I got for DS were totally TRASHED in less than two months - stitching coming out, laces breaking, really, really bad scuffs even though he didn't use them in the playground much. This has never happened with any other pair of shoes, so I don't think it is because my DS is hard on shoes. Umi CS was absolutely unhelpful - all they said was I should go back to the Nordstrom store I purchased the shoes from to determine if the shoes were defective, and didn't care when I said I had since moved. Whatever.

Anyway, based on this experience, I am NEVER buying Umi shoes again. Jumping Jacks have soles that are just as flexible, are marginally cheaper, and hold up *much* better. That's what I'm sticking with for the future.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast