firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What to dress newborn in during HOT weather

DS is not even two weeks old yet and I'm stressing about what to put him in. Granted I think he's okay with long sleeves in the house (we keep the AC around 72), but outside it is 90+ degrees out. I don't plan on having him out for extended period of time during the hottest times of the day but I just don't know what my options are. Any advice? I definitely didn't struggle with this with my January baby :)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: What to dress newborn in during HOT weather

Cute onesies! Not that I have any good suggestion on where to find them, but last summer when my DD was at home she was usually just in a onesie.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD was born during a heat wave last summer. Our house doesn't have AC either. We usually dressed her in onesies or a cute summer outfit.

HTH!
    Kim

After ds was born last summer, he usually wore the one-piece Carter's rompers & they were great, especially the tank-style ones. HA has some cute striped rompers too & I think onesies are fine also.
    Kim

my fav newborn clothes are now onesies and matching knit pants. you can pull the pants on when you hit the AC and yank them off for going outside. target and walmart both carry a carter's brand that is inexpensive. or if you want to spend more, zutano has my FAV mix and match tees, diaper covers, pants, one pieces and cardigans. perfect for covering up and uncovering throughout the day. and mix and match so you don't have to have exact pieces clean.

for fancy dress, bubbles are super cute. but preppy, so maybe you aren't into that kind of thing?

and carter's and zutano have short sleeved short pants rompers that would be great in heat or in AC- you could use a blanket if need be in the cool air. or just add socks. i did that a lot when schuyler was 3 months old.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We live in So. CA and both my kids were born in 95 degree weather (go figure!). I kept both of them in in short sleeve onesies with cotton knit pants in the house (with the AC on 73) and loosely wrapped in a light cotton receiving blanket for the first couple weeks (my kids both hated swaddling). When we would go out, I would just remove the blanket and leave the onesie and pants.

The general rule of thumb is that infants need one layer of clothing more than what an adult needs. Just keep them in cotton fabrics.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think you got some great recommendations on clothing. One thing I discovered last summer is that when people give you baby blankets they are all thick warm ones.

Not at all appropriate for summer when you mostly want to block the sun. So I ran to the nearest fabric store and bought thin, breathable cotton fabric with a cute print and some edging. I put the blanket together using hem tap and used it as the lightweight blanket to block sun for to prevent sunburn when in the car or stoller.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I loved these kind of things

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...58&clearance=0

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...58&clearance=0

they are loose and breathe... and comfy for little ones! Carters sells them, BRU, Gap, old navy... most retailers. It's nice to have one piece outfits that you don't have to mess around with!

Good Luck... enjoy your summer baby!!!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05