Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Love these dresses..had to share!

I got one of these for my DD and love it! The great thing is that it'll fit her for a long time because of the way it's cut and the ribbon on the top makes the neck and arm holes adjustable. They also make vintage pillow case dresses...check them out at primandsassycottage.com.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33695.jpg

Default RE: Love these dresses..had to share!

Those dresses are adorable. I'm considering getting my DD the Shabby Roses Ribbon Tie Romper, its sooooo cute.
    Thanks for sharing the website.

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

This style of dress is one of the easiest things in the world to sew; if you have any sewing ability at all, think about making one. It's big fun! I made a dress for DD (she's 2) out of 3 quilter's fat quarters, which is way complicated for one of these, and it still took me about an hour. I made her a blouse that took more like 20 minutes... But it's still mostly in the 60s here and too cool for them!

These dresses are so sweet!

I forgot to add that I bought mine at www.punkinpockets.com-it was a little cheaper (I think) and free shipping. But, Punkin pockets doesn't carry the bigger sizes.

And one of these days I'll attempt to sew one...

laurel Guest

I love to sew and love the look of these. Do you mind walking me through the general construction? It looks like, from what I can tell from the photos online, that it's essentially two rectangles with the pretty stuff around the hem and a casing at the top of each rectangle to feed the ribbon through. Is that generally it? Thanks for any tips!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oooh, yes, pattern or tips, please!!

I love those dresses, but I immediately thought that I could definitely sew one of those!

:)

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Classic recipe:

Take pillowcase. Cut off closed end at length that suits your child. Scoop armholes
    out. Rolled-hem armholes. Turn casing at top on each side, thread ribbon through, tie.

Or, take rectangle of fabric, sew up ends, hem bottom (optionally with fancy stuff),
    see above.

Detailed instructions for a less-classic version -- love the instructions, but I actually find it a bit harder this way. It is definitely better for a really small child, though:

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitcher...ter_.html#more

laurel Guest

Thank you thank you thank you! What a fun project, I can't wait to get started!

Krisa Guest

Okay! So now where do you get super cute, shabby-chic like pillow cases??? Please, please tell me. I wannna try this!!

Thanks!! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast