Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kayleesmom Guest

Default where to find gender neutral clothing

hi, i have decided i dont want to find out if we are having a boy or girl so i was wondering for those of you that didnt find out. how did you decorate the room? and where did get gender neutral clothes- how much did u get? and what colors.

thanks

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: where to find gender neutral clothing

We didn't find out with DD. Her room is decorated in basically primary/bold colors. We added a few girly touches after she arrived. The walls are painted blue with white clouds. We just bought sheets and a dust ruffle for the bed - no quilt to decide about!

For clothing, it seems like a lot of the gender neutral stuff is yellow or green in the layette section (or at least it was a few years ago). I think it's a lot easier for boy clothing to pass as being GN, than girl clothing. I really don't remember how much clothing we had when we brought DD home. We had shopped for a few different sizes - buying things we liked - but had tried not to stock up. You could always buy outfits that you like, keep the tags on most of them and then take back whatever ends up not working. Just make sure to keep the receipts and not to buy too far in advance so that you're out of the return window.

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Although we did decide to find out both times, here are my thoughts on the matter:

Be flexible on what you assign as boy and girl as far as colors go. I have lotsa "boy" colors for DD and mixed in with all her other stuff she doesn't usually look boyish. She actually looks great in deep red shirts and jeans, for example.

Also, you might want to buy a couple boy and girl outfits, but keep the receipts and just return the few you don't need. I tend to shop at a few great consignment shops here in town so I don't mind buying far ahead. And I have been lucky that DD has always fit into her age appropriate size - but I know that many babies don't! I think it's also a bit easier to have a girl fit into sizes that might not fit exactly because you don't notice if her dress is an inch too short, but you will notice if her pants are too short.

We decorated DD's room in neutrals except the bedding, which could easily have been switched out. We had a mural painted and I didn't want it to be too babyish, so it's actually a very realistic painting of a forest which could go either way.

It is very hard to find gender neutral clothes that aren't green and yellow, but it is also very hard to find girl clothes that aren't pink with flowers or kittens and boy clothes with stripes and cars/sports/dogs on them! It's frustrating, but still fun to shop for a new baby!
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old

First off...We decorated the room with black furniture, and some framed children's antique nursery rhyme pages from an old book. I also framed some old flashcards with simple toy word/pictures like ball, puppy, top, wagon, etc. I painted a verse from the bible on barn wood and hung it. I also spelled out the word PLAY on canvas and hung it. I received some cute wooden blocks from PBK and worked them in on a shelf with some old toys. Our walls were already a neutral beigy color so I just kept it. We had 3 stuffed bears that sat on top of the armoire, but they were the only bear things in the room. My MIL bought us an upholsterd chair from Best, in a vegetable green check, so that added some color. Anyways, not necessarily any theme as you can tell just a "child-like" atmosphere focused on toys/vintage baby.
    Now as far as clothes, I bought very little until he came along. This saved me a ton, and I am glad I waited. I am also glad because at my showers I received alot on my registry and many practical things. However we still received numerous yellow/veggie green stuff too.

I will mention that I had luck at Walmart, BRU, and TCP. They all 3 had gender neutral brown outfits. Not an ugly brown but a really sweet cuddly brown that I would have just as easily put on a girl. After he was born I noticed Little Me had some as well that were really cute gender neutrals. The one thing I bought that became a staple last winter, was a hoodie from TCP. It was a brown color with a little tiny bear over the heart. He wore that all the time, and we couldn't have lived without it. I stocked up on white long-sleeve onsies at WM, and had numerous sleepers in greens/yellows from people. He had a lot of green, brown outfits. But once people know what you are having they can't help but go buy that gender style clothing!
    I will also add I was just in Old Navy and I thought I noticed some things that were gender neutral as well.

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We didn't find out with DD so we decorated her room in sage green, dusty blue and yellow. We put up some nursery prints and that was about it. You will accumulate so much stuff that is obviously baby that you really don't need to do much decorating to make it look like a cute little baby's room.

As for gender neutral clothes, lots of stuff in the small sizes is green, yellow, white - all colors that are gender neutral. I also got some stuff that was meant for boys but worked for DD just fine - I had no trouble putting her in a dark blue onesie with fish on it, for example.

Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

We didn't find out the sex with my son. His room was painted a periwinkle blue with a mural of some stars and our dog jumping over the moon.

As for clothes, when Zach was born, we mainly had size 0-3 yellow, green or white sleepers (which is all he wore for the first month or so anyway). After he was born we got a TON of boy clothes as gifts and I started my addiction to clothing shopping. Have fun!

Michelle
    Zach (Sept 2004)

We didn't find out...people thought we were nuts, but it was the best surprise ever. So few nice surprises in life these days, I think!

We painted the room with an aquatic theme...ocean blue walls and fish. We got neutral wood furniture. I'm not a real decorator and wasn't into the whole crib set thing, so we just got blue sheets to go with the theme.

We got TONS of GN stuff at my showers...you won't have any problems. Lots of yellow with ducks. Some green. Even some light blue stuff. Then, like the pp said, once DD was born the girl clothes started pouring in. We had plenty of stuff...I've only just now started buying her clothes, almost a year later.
    Jessica

I think it's fun not finding out!

The nursery had been a guest bedroom, and it was already a pale green. I *always* had a vision that the nursery would be green and orange. The furniture was a mix of honey-colored wood and off white. We had some antique framed prints and later added a fabric patchwork wallhanging with different colored gingham. The crib bedding was cream/black dots/multicolored animals knitting. Bright orange sheets. A black and white sheep mobile.

As for clothes, I bought lots of basic tops and onesies in white in the tiny sizes. I had soft jersey gowns and pants in greens, orange and brown. I knit sweaters in cream/beige, navy, and rainbow colors. There were some things from The Gap and other places in gender-neutral stripes. I don't think I had anything pale yellow because I am not a fan of that color. I still try to keep gender-neutral in mind with clothes when I can because I plan on having more kids! My SIL had lots of red and navy coats and jackets for her DD that got passed down to DS which I think is a great idea. The only thing I didn't do was buy really far ahead, which can be tricky anyway. But finding a few nice things in 0-3 and 3-6 month size was pretty easy.

We decorated the room in light blue and light yellow, and all of our layette clothes were white, yellow and green.

After about six months though, I was so tired of yellow and green! To this day, I can't buy clothes in those colors (and DD is almost 4yrs). I did stick with gender neutral styles and colors for most of the first year, but after that I transitioned to more pink and floral because they looked so nice on her. It brought out the pink in her complexion.

hrh_julie Guest

We didn't find out we were having a girl until very late (first sonogram, her legs were closed!) We decided to decorate the nursery in a sage green. We have an animal border running the length of the room that has lots of primary colors in it. We figured if it was a boy, we could add dark blues or reds and if it was a girl, purple and pink would go well with the border and the paint. We love the way the room turned out.

As for clothes, we bought the Target Safari set (its yellow and green, but with animals). Also, Baby Gap has cute newborn unisex stuff in reds, browns and creams. These colors would match with anything you bought later. (aka pink and brown...so cute!) Also, Gymboree has the CUTEST penguin line in their newest collection. Its red and white and my DD is so getting some of those clothes for Xmas!

I would say you need 5-10 onesies, a couple of pairs of pants, a sweater and 4 sleepers to get you started. Then buy more after the baby arrives.

Have fun!
    Julie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast