Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Reader Poll: Tell us your favorite baby clothing brands!

Hi folks! We are updating our BABY BARGAINS book for a new edition and would love your feedback today on baby clothing!

Tell us your thoughts for the following categories:

BEST BETS
    GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
    SKIP IT

Feel free to name names/brands, whether you found it online, in a store or in a catalog. Any additional comments would be great.

By baby clothing, we mean ALL baby clothing---both basics, nice casual and dress up clothes.

Thanks in advance!

Alan & Denise
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

Default RE: Reader Poll: Tell us your favorite baby clothing brands!

BEST BETS:
    I love H&M - Their style is European and I can often find unique items that differ from the standard. Their prices are VERY reasonable and I love love love their adjustable waist they have on most of their pants that are absolutely perfect for my tall skinny guy. I also find the quality of their clothes quite good.

Mulberribush - very cute styles for kids (not little adult styled clothes). Fairly expensive though

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT:
    Osh Kosh B'gosh. Generally cute clothes and good quality although most of their clothing displays the name brand very obviously which some people don't like. I've found their sizes to run a little small

-E
    http://lilypie.com/pic/060927/YXiM.jpg[/img] [/url]
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    http://bd.lilypie.com/AcEup2/.png[/img][/url]

lhk777 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I second H&M.

I haven't found much for myself, but for my DD's it is great!
    They have great long sleeved knit tees for my 3.5 yo DD - very soft too.
    Their pants are great too - I bought some knit pants as well as some cargo capris with the rollup button cuffs so they can also be worn as regular pants.

For infants their onesies are great. They have thick and soft long sleeved and short sleeved onesies. After I discovered them they always seem to be out.

-Linda

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd love to chime in regarding fancy southern clothes and home show brands, but those who buy it are probably not referring to Baby Bargains when choosing!

As for basics like sleepers and young baby things, I've found Circo, the Target brand to run true-to-size and hold up remarkably well. Same with Faded Glory from Wal-mart. The design won't wow you, but the cost is low enough that you're not heart-broken when it's ruined or outgrown. "GOOD BUT NOT GREAT." +: cost and durability -: design and resale value

Hanna Andersson zippers are great for their design and snuggly softness. But, man! They're PRICEY! I tend to look for these at consignment sales. I know they last and last, but I can't pay Hanna's full-price plus shipping for a pair of pj's! For that reason, I put them in the "GOOD BUT NOT GREAT." +: design and durability and resale value -: cost, when purchasing new and accessibility (they aren't around here, and their catalog shipping is OUTRAGEOUS!@)

In my personal opinion, Gymboree things are nice, and hold up well, but don't get sucked in to buying an entire line as soon as it comes out. The sale prices can be great, but I think it's kind of a rip-off at full price. Plus, there is this drive among many to "collect" Gymboree, which isn't a bargain, or "reality." You'll start to see the same "themes" rehashed year in and year out. I'd categorize them as "GOOD BUT NOT GREAT." +: durability and first-time design and resale value, depending on the "line." -: cost

As far as boutique brands are concerned, I've been really disappointed with fading and pilling on two brands in particular: Merrimekko and Sweet Potatoes and New Potatoes. I'd put both of these in the "SKIP IT" category. I don't buy them anymore, though they look really cute when brand-new. Two boutique brands that I've been very pleased with are Kissy Kissy and Le Top. Both are great for their cottony knits and cute design. Both are pricey, but hold up great. And they're widely available at local boutiques or online, for reasonable shipping. For boutique wear, they're a BEST BET, IMO. +: design, durability, resale value. -: cost

Now for some soft-soled shoes -

Robeez - BEST BET - Great designs and durability and washability(Though they cut into the chubby ankles of some kids - they're best for medium to narrow tootsies.)

Shooshoos - BEST BET - Great designs, durability and washability(Though only for WIDE feet. They're too wide for our medium-width feet.)

BOBUX - BEST BET - Great designs, durability and washability (Best for medium to narrow feet, much like Robeez, though I think the ankle elastic is more loose than Robeez.)

Hanabear Shoes - BEST BET - only available online and can be CUSTOM ordered. No cartoon characters or themes, which is great if you're an accessory minimalist.

Cute Baby Shoes - GOOD BUT NOT GREAT - Cute designs, great customer service and washability. These are SOFT, like glove leather, though and, therefore, not as durable as thicker-leather brands above.

Target Robeez knock-offs - BEST BET. Just as durable as RObeez, though pretty obviously knock-offs. Much cheaper, though, but with fewer design choices.

Those are the only brands I've personally tried - there are LOTS more, though!

We haven't grown into Boden, yet, but they do have the most innovative designs for bigger boys that I've seen. I'd love to hear an overall review from some of the Boden-loving mamas here.

Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
    ...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Best bet
    Naartjie both for boys and girls. They are soft and comfortable and the prices are not outrageous.We buy their essentials and they are 2 for $22.

Also like Baby Gap their prices are good and you can get good sales.

Mini Boden for both boys and girls but a little more expensive.

Hanna Andersson good soft comfortable clothing but expensive if it is not on sale.

ltmommy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

IMHO (and I don't spend a ton of time or money on clothes):

BEST BETS
    Baby Gap - wears very well, is usually age-appropriate. Plus the stuff is frequently on sale, and coupons are widely available.
    Hanna Andersen - if you can find it on sale. washes and wears fabulously, plus DD has been able to wear the few pieces we have for more than one year.
    Zutano Baby - their baby basics wear well, although they run small
    Old Navy jeans - Some of their kids clothes are hit-or-miss, but their jeans are great!
    Babystyle - wears well, can be found at deep discounts at the end of the season.
    Lands End - wears like iron. Amazing return policy backs that up. Not many sales, but prices are semi-reasonable to begin with. I only wish they carried more selection in Sears B&M stores.
    N*Kids - Nordstrom's private label has worn well and can be found at reasonable prices. Not always a great selection in stores near me, though.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
    Gymboree - again, my opinion, way too expensive at regular prices. Also, I feel like some of the styles are either too "old" looking, or are cut in such a way that they are outgrown quickly. Wears well, though.
    Target (Circo, etc) - Can't beat the price, but things seem to sort of shrivel in the wash - seams don't lay flat. They look great before washing, but are never the same after that first wash. Good for playwear for daycare/school.
    Carters - sleepwear runs very snug (not great for chubby babies). Playwear is better than average for up to 24 months sizes, but I have found that toddler sizes do not wear as well.

SKIP IT
    Koala Kids - Babies R Us brand also seems to shrivel in the wash, with the items never looking very good after that first wash.

hardysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For infants, I love Hanna Andersson, Le Top, and Carter's. Kissy Kissy is sweet..

For toddlers everyday clothing- I like Carters, OshGosh, LL Bean, and Lands End. Carters/Oshgosh outlet's have better selection than in Department stores. Appearantly, in Eurpoe (at least in Denmark) OskGosh is a BIG deal. Outlet stores often have really cute, unexpected things.

H&M is great, but since they don't do anything online and are not nationwide, it isn't an option for most.

For girls I like Hanna Andersson for basics. Nothing beats their cotton knit. We also have quite a bit of Mini Boden and Tea Collection. Naartjie Essentials (basic shirts, etc) are a great bargain, but I am no so into the layering of pants/dresses which is their Thing.

Papo d' Anjo is ridiculously expensive unless you find a deal, but wonderful.

For boys, I think Mini Boden has the best, fun clothes which allow a little boy to look like a kid as opposed to a little grown-up.

Stephanie

Best Bets:
    Clothing
    *Target- for good prices on staples like jeans and t-shirts
    *H&M- always find cute stuff for reasonable prices. Example: just bought a button down corduroy jacket for DS#1 for $25.
    *Zutano- comfykids.com has the best selection. For the 0-24 mo play clothing you cannot beat the prices, designs and softness.
    *Little Lubbaloo- great boutique brand w/the softest t's ever. littlelubbaloo.com
    *Old Navy- like Target I like the staples there. Their new soft jeans "worn" are so wonderful.
    Gymboree- I have to say for boys they have some of the cutest clothes. They always have great sales.
    Shoes
    *See Kai Run- for the later walker for boys I get mine at mylittleducks.com
    *Shoo Shoos- my favorite soft soled shoes
    *Geox- Hands down our favorite shoes for toddler and beyond. DS#1 loves his shoes. We get ours at Nordstrom or a local children's shoe store.

Good But Not Great:
    Clothing
    *Baby Gap- sales are good, but regular prices I feel are overpriced for what you get.
    *Mulberrybush- I never seem to love what I get from them so I stopped buying.
    *Janie and Jack- I think they are overpriced and I don't love their boy's stuff as much as Gymboree.
    Shoes
    *Stride Rite- I have yet to love any pair we buy. I did recently get the stage 2 baby shoes for DS#2 and I'm liking them but I still think soft soled are better.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

dules Guest

BEST BETS
    Hanna Andersson - wonderful quality, fabulous customer service, great resale value. Watch for sales and discounts taken on the web during the season. Popular items/sizes may sell out before they go on sale so if you love it, you might have to buy it at full price.

Miniboden - fantastic quality, really cute clothing, unusual choices. Watch for 10-20% off with free shipping and free returns - these have been happening several times/season and make the clothes more affordable.

LLBean - wonderful PJs and loved their fleece for baby/toddler

Landsend - great PJs and adorable, affordable little girl clothing (I don't have a boy so unsure on the selection). Washes well. Does not resell well though, with the exception of pj's, outerwear and snow boots.

Janie and Jack - Gymboree parent company marketing toward grandparents. Beautiful quality, high prices, much sells out before sales, but true heirloom quality and generally very high resale.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT

Talbot's Kids - amazing quality, great end of season sales. Not great resale IME. Wonderful for special occasion outfits.

Baby Gap - usually good quality and washes well. Popular pieces resell well. Good sales. Layette stuff is incredibly soft - competes with Hanna for softness at a fraction of the cost (not organic though).

Target/Circo - has some nice all cotton tees, shorts, capris, khakis etc. that are great for preschool, play, art projects, etc. Usually around $3.99 or so per piece.

SKIP IT

Old Navy - cute for trendy clothes, inexpensive (good sales), play clothes, but does not wash very well, cotton tends not to be terribly soft. I find toddler girl clothing to run very long and narrow - not realistic when you have to put a diaper under the jeans.

Baby Lulu - I love the look of these clothes but have a terrible time washing it (cold, hang to dry, be very careful of stain removers, etc.) so for me it has not been worth the effort.

Just my opinions - I'm sure others will think differently!

Mary

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

NM
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast