COElizabeth Guest

Default Milk coming out baby's nose

The past few days I have noticed a little milk occasionally coming out my 2-month-old's nose after feeding - usually when he burps. My ped office said to try to hold him more upright and to call if this continues, and as a nervous new mom I was scared to ask what that would mean. Has anyone else had this happen? If it doesn't go away, what could be wrong? TIA.

Elizabeth
    Mom to James
    9-20-02

megsmom Guest

Default RE: Milk coming out baby's nose

It might mean your baby has gastroesophegeal reflux. All babies spit up, but some babies spit up excessively and it can actually cause quite a bit of discomfort for them. Basically the sphincter that holds the stomach closed is immature and the stomach contents can leak out, or reflux. If it's a lot, it will result as spitup through the mouth or nose. The main reason that reflux is problematic is that it can cause a lot of crying (baby feels lots of heartburn). It can also result in poor weight gain in extreme cases. It is very common, 1/5 babies has it. Several years ago this probably accounted for quite a bit of the babies who had "colic." Other signs to watch for are increased crying after feedings, baby arching its back a lot after feedings, and decreased ability to tolerate lying down. Several of my mommy friends have babies who had it. Most of them had to go on Zantac or other meds and a couple of them were followed by a gastroenterologist. Most babies outgrow it by 1 year.

I'm no expert on this by the way. I'm just going on the heresay of lots of my friends and reading I've done. Hopefully, your son isn't in a lot of pain or crying a lot (you didn't mention that he was). Several moms have experience with their babies having reflux on this board, so if your son continues to have trouble, they would be an excellent source of info. Years ago, parents and babies suffered through lots of crying, but now there is a lot that can be done.

Jen
    mom to Meghan

ct Guest

My little one just had this problem too!! I spoke to his pediatrician at his 1 month visit and they said it happens, no big deal. My little guy was not only spitting up through his nose, but sometimes when BF if I didn't hold him upright enough, milk would leak through his nose while he was eating (freaky!). He never cried or seemed out of sorts in any way. Anyway, it all stopped shortly after the dr. visit, so perhaps my being more aware of the need to hold him at a steeper angle did the trick. Best of luck to you...

ct
    SAHM to Lilli (9/20/00) & Alec (10/21/02)

mamahill Guest

Ainsleigh had this problem for the first couple months. Not consistently, just every now and then -- enough to make me wonder what was going on. But it didn't last much past the second month. I think their insides are still getting used to everything, including regulating where the air and milk goes and when. I found it kind of cute (in a weird only-a-mother-could-love sort of way). haha!

COElizabeth Guest

Thank you! James does have some of the symptoms of reflux but seems to be better the past couple of days, and no more milk out the nose, so I will just keep watching. Thanks so much for the reassurance!

Elizabeth
    Mom to James
    9-20-02