LucyMeg Guest

Default How many washable nursing pads do you really need?

I have received three boxes of Gerber washable nursing pads at showers (6 pads per box), and I'm wondering if I really need this many. I also bought a box of four Lansinoh pads at Walmart (4 pads). Should I return some, or would it be wise to keep them all, and then wait to see what I need once the baby comes?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: How many washable nursing pads do you really need?

Depends on how big of a leaker you are! I wasn't much of a leaker and had about 6 pairs of washable nursing pads. I didn't really need to change them during the day, so I didn't need as many.

You might want to return some, and just buy more later if you need them. Or keep them unopened and see if you will need them.

One note - don't know much about the ones you have, but I much preferred the contoured pads!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

LucyMeg Guest

What's the difference in a contoured pad as opposed to the ones I have? The Lansinohs seem "breast-shaped," if that is what contoured means.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yep, that's contoured. The other option is flat - and those get a bit bulky under clothes!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

jbrowni Guest

Personally I am a bigtime leaker so having a lot of nursing pads was a must for me especially at night when it is necessarry for me to either double or triple up depending on the night. I personally would not return them just yet but wait until the baby is born.

spu Guest

I'm nursing twins so I have an abundant supply. In the beginning, I used disposable nursing pads and they worked out great. I never tried the washable pads. Now, I rarely even use them. Maybe if I'm going to be away from the babies for a while I might use them. Otherwise, they do a good job emptying and eventually your body will know when and how much milk to make.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte & else

sweetbasil Guest

The washable pads didn't keep me dry at all...I used disposables through the year I nursed DS, but had a lot of milk. I guess you just never quite know until the milk comes in. There was some indication, though, when I started leaking colostrum at 7 1/2 mo. pg. My LC said it didn't mean my milk would come in early, or be too painful coming in, but there'd be a LOT of it, and there was ;)

It's going to depend on your body. I started leaking in my second trimester (ick)! Before the baby was born, the washable pads worked, but they were useless afterwards. In fact, most disposables didn't hold enough. The only brand that I would ever recommend is Lansinoh...they hold gallons!

Good luck!

mamahill Guest

I had about 18 to begin with and I went to the store when DD was 6 days old and bought 4 more boxes. I leaked enough that I had to change pads every feeding (up to 6 times a day! and you should change them so your nipples aren't rubbing on wet pads for very long - that can lead to an infection and bacteria going in) and sometimes even more. If I was going out in public I would often double up just in case. I didn't leak at all before the baby, and I only wear them every now and then so as to not let everyone know just how cold I am ;). I loved having the washable nursing pads and will definitely keep mine for baby #2. Just a side note - make sure you wash the pads before you use them. If you just use them, then they don't absorb very well. After washing, they do great. HTH!

sparkeze Guest

I'm a pretty heavy leaker and I still must use breast pads and DS is 9 mo. At the beginning I had 2 boxes of 100-count disposable Avent pads, and 6 pairs of Medela washable ones. Well, I quickly went through the disposable ones (2 every 2 hours for one day is about 24) and 6 pairs of Medela were NOT enough for me. I tried handwashing them but they never line-dried fast enough so I finally just bought more. I think I got up to about 12-15 pairs of breast pads? Personally I like the Bravado breast pads best, but in the early weeks if you are seriously leaking, cloth just doesn't hold it. I found a disposable breast pad, or using 2 cloth ones together worked.