Mayan Guest

Default where to buy nursing bras?

I am looking for a good source for nursing bras, but feel strange about buying a bra online (without seeing it or trying on).
    I have tried many stores - Target, Walmart, Baby Depot,Mervyn's, Sears, etc - they all have a very limited selection and usually in the wrong sizes.
    Does anyone have a recomendation for a good place for nursing bras around Southern California?
    Is Motherhood Maternity any good in this area?
    Specifically - I am looking for a bar for sleeping at night- something like a sports bra that has an opening for nursing (rather than pulling it aside).

Momof1Golden1Lab Guest

Default RE: where to buy nursing bras?

Have you tried lactation consultants in your area? That's where I got my first nursing bras. The bonus is that they fit you, so you are getting the correct size (very important when nursing, to prevent plugged ducts). The only problem is that they tend to carry a limited selection, but I still found something that fit me well and was very comfortable.

One good online source is www.breastisbest.com. They have a huge selection and a decent return policy, so if you can't find anything locally, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

newbelly2002 Guest

Just out of curiousity, how do you know if your bra is fitting correctly? I get plugged ducts all the time. At least a few times a week. Many days I can resolve them with nursing; other times they last for 3-5 days, are painful as h#$%, and keep me from being able to raise my arm.

I am wearing nursing bras most days (sports bras on others) which SEEM to fit. They are somewhat tight when I am full, loose when I'm empty and the rest of the time inbetween.

Are there any "tests" or checklists to gauge correct fittage?

TIA!
    Paula

PS I personally love the Motherhood snap nursing bras. I can do and undo the snap relatively discreetly and quickly. I seem unable to hook the cup into the hook and eye closures so many people like without hiking up the entire shirt, staring down and using two hands.

Momof1Golden1Lab Guest

Paula,

I'm not an expert, but a couple of the things that the LC looked at when she fitted me:

1. The bottom band around your body should lie completely flat and below your breasts.

2. If you look at the cup in the front and sides (under the arms), your breasts should be completely in the cup. This was a biggie for me - my breasts are very full on the sides so I required a bigger bra to fully contain them.

Also, if you are using underwire bras, you might want to switch to softcups because underwires can (but not always) cause plugged ducts.

I wish that I could offer more advice but I just wasn't paying enough attention or asking enough questions when she fitted me - but I haven't had problems with the bras that she put me in! (The Medela seamless softcup is a little expensive but very comfy!!)

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check to see if there is a Maternity 4 Less store in your area. Their website is www.maternity4less.com. The woman at my location was knowledgable in sizing me for my bras. Some people do not like Bravado bras because they do not feel as supportive as others , but I LOVE my Bravado bras, which is a sport-style nursing/maternity bra (I bought mine at a "buy one get the second half-off" sale at M4L). I could easily sleep in them. Granted, I am 2 weeks away from delivery and do not have "full" breasts yet. I have worn my bras since around Week 20. If you find a bra that you like, there are generally some good deals online with no shipping and tax :-) Good luck finding the perfect one :-)

Sharyn
    EDD #1 01.21.03
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

newbelly2002 Guest

Thanks for the advice. I'll know for #2.

Right now I'm thinking about trying to wean DS starting at 6 months (Feb. 1; DH says there's a prize--BF has been very very difficult and I am not above bribery!-- if I can make it to then; he'll only tell me that it involves a spa and hot tubs!!) and finishing for good sometime around month 7-8. That's only another 2 months, 3 tops. I can't see buying a whole lot of new bras. And since I'm in Europe, the maternity stores are all different over here.

Interesting that fit can cause plugged ducts. No one ever mentioned it to me no matter how many times I went in for the problem. Grr....

Paula

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check the Medela or Bravado (for more jogbra-ish styles) websites to find out who carries these brands in your area. What I would recommend is going to a speciality shop to get a propper/professional fitting. If you want, buy a bra or two from them, but once you know what size you need and what style fits best, then take this information and search online for the best prices. You can sometimes get them for half of what the stores charge.

Good luck!

spu Guest

I ordered my Bravados from Motherwear.com. They have a great return policy which was important to me. Even after washing, they take back returns. So if you're in doubt about a size, order 2.

I was also getting plugs - massive plugs - about 2-3x/week. It would wipe me out for a day and a half to get rid of it. The entire quadrant of one breast would turn into a hard mass. In addidtion to the heat, showers, etc., a few other things my LCs told me are to try Lecithin (I take 1200 units in the am and pm) and to do alot of massaging. When I'm at home, I either wear no bra, or unbutton the flaps rather than slide them over. Also, I started feeding the babies (yes - twins) in the middle of the night. They were sleeping 8-10 hours at night which was a blessing, but it made for a perfect scenario for major plugs. Having the right bra fit is also extremely important.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte & else

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like my maternity sports bras I brought at Motherhood. I have been using them for about 1 week and they are very comfortable and supportive and easy to open, etc. I use them for sleep and day time. They open down like a flap and I haven't had any problems feeding him in them (I thought it would be awkward opening it up to feed).
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bought maternity bras from a specialty maternity store... 3 of them and they got thrown out at the hospital!!!! they were in a little shopping bag (baby came early I didn't even get the chance to wash them!)next to the trash can and some other stuff on the floor... I guess the lady thought it was empty!!!! NICE HUH!

Anyways, I bought a nursing bra from the LC office at Cedars Sinai Hospital where my son was born.... it is a Medela bra (like the breast pump).... It wasn't fancy but fits really well.... I have several others and this one is my fav! It is comfortable and supportive.... DS is now 18 months (and still nursing!) and I'm still wearing this one! check them out! I found that the better bras are more expensive but worth the extra money! In the LA area ... check out the Pump Station (in Santa Monica), Moms the word (on Ventura Blvd in Studio City... also alocation in Santa Monica I believe), NOM (on Melrose Ave in LA/West Hollywood).... they are very helpful!

Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!