COElizabeth Guest

Default Does EBM last longer in bags?

Do the storage guidelines refer to bags as opposed to bottles? I have never stored much milk in bottles because I had only one Medela collection bottle, but when I got my Whittlestone last week it came with several bottles, so I stored some milk in them over the weekend. They were already bad by yesterday, but I have definitely kept Medela bags in the refrigerator that long and don't *think* they spoiled. I'm wondering if it was because there was a lot of air in the bottles, if the Whittlestone bottles are not good, or some other factor was at work.

Elizabeth
    Mom to James
    9-20-02

lukkykatt Guest

Default RE: Does EBM last longer in bags?

I had always used the guideline that you were supposed to freeze EBM if not used within 48 hours. I don't think i makes a difference if you use bottles or bags, but I found it much easier to thaw milk in the bags.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can keep EBM in the fridge for up to (about) 8 days, supposedly.

Could it be that something wasn't clean enough - pump parts or bottles - and the EBM got contaminated? I do all my fridge storage in bottles (Medela storage bottles and Avent bottles) and have thrown milk away at 8 days that still smells fine - but I'm not brave enough to offer it.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gravymommy3 Guest

I never had much luck with freezing my ebm. I know it can be done and for fairly long periods of time, but it never worked for me. That being said, I kept my ebm in the fridge in cheapie bottles (evenflo and gerber plain bottles) and just make sure I rotated it properly and labelled when it went it. I would also keep it for up to eight days (sometimes it was not an issue cause I would have to use the milk I pumped the night before to get Grayson through the next day!) But there were times when supply would be up and it would sit for that long before it got used and it was fine. I used whatever bottle was clean at the time, so I would have an 8 oz bottle with maybe 4 or 5 oz. in it (so the air thing didn't affect mine). I would tend to think thta some other factor might be at work for you.

Good luck on figuring out what is the culprit. It really sucks to have to dump any bmilk,