Bird73 Guest

Default Belly support bands - worth it or wasted money?

I am 33 weeks, and all of a sudden my belly feels SO much heavier, and I very suddenly have stretch marks only along the bottom of my belly. I'm wondering if those crazy belly support bands you see actually do anything or are they a complete waste of money? Any experiences? Thanks in advance.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Belly support bands - worth it or wasted money?

I used the Loving Comfort one from BRU, and it made a HUGE difference! It helped with back pain and bladder pressure. I carried really low, and the belly belt made it bearable my third trimester.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

Dcclerk is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 34 1/2 weeks and have one on right now. :) I'm actually carrying pretty high, but I still think that the band helps quite a bit. My back really does feel better at the end of the day. My only complaint is that it can pinch my belly and make my belly feel uncomfortable if I don't put it on *just* right. Still, even if I only use it for part of the day a couple days a week, I feel like it was worth it. For the $20 I spent, I think it was a worthwhile investment even if I only use it periodically. (Of course, I am one of those people who will buy just about anything to make myself feel more comfortable.)

I wouldn't count on it helping at all with the stretch marks; I think those have a mind of their own. But for easing back pain, I think it is useful.

Kerry

heidi_timms Guest

My doctor had suggested one, but at 37 weeks because of back pain. I probably would have purchased a belt if she would have suggested one earlier. I just felt like it was already the last few weeks of pregnancy and I didn't see spending even more money! Gosh, you spend so much preparing for the new baby!

At childbirthing class, they suggested a cheap way to deal with the pressure was to tie a blanket or something tightly around like a belt,which helps support. I did that a few times and it seemed to help.

zen_bliss is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i had the motherhood one, which is about as basic as you get. i bought one at 29 wks because my doctor recommended that i get one -- i am little and i am carrying a basketball, all in front. i only wore it about 6 times -- it made my bladder pressure so much worse, and i felt like i was squishing her little head!

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used the Loving Comfort one as well and it was a lifesaver!!

ginalc Guest

I have used 2 different belly bands. I recently saw some in BRU that have great back support and 2 belly support bands. I would recommend holding your belly up and pulling the tissue "together." If this provides relief, a belly band may help you. If not, you probably won't need one.

I used one early in my 2nd pregnancy (22 wks) due to the abdominus rectus muscle splitting (the muscle that runs vertically in the center of the abdomen) and it helped tons. At first, I tried the basic elastic kind that zen_bliss mentions. I found mine in the MotherHood Maternity store and it provided so much relief, I couldn't bring myself to take it off! I showed the salesclerk the package and paid for it that way.

Later in the pregnancy, I need much more support (I worked 12 hr shifts and was on my feet most of the day) so I used a band like the one available at BRU. These provide better upper and lower back support with 2 bands across the belly, one above the bump, one below, but they can hot and "itchy." I found that loosening the lower band helped avoid some of the bladder pressure. I simply could not stay on my feet OR sit without the belly bands, I had so much belly/back pain without them. I wore tank-tops under them to help with the "itchiness."

You may want to check with your health-care provider as well. There is a type of Physical Therapist associated with Women's Health that can help with back/abdominal pain. There are some PT exercises to help strenthen the hips, lower back, perineal floor, and abdominal muscles. Yes, even when you are 8-9 months pregnant, there are exercises to help with your "abs" :)!!! Performing these exercises post-partum can help strenthen and promote recovery.

My 2nd pregnancy, I couldn't have functioned without the belly bands. My 3rd pregnancy, I never needed one at all because I started PT early and maintained my exercises.

HTH!

gina, mom to 3