Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help with Milk Supply

In the last week or so, I have noticed that I am not pumping enough milk for what DD takes while I am at work. I am pumping once in the AM and twice at work and am about an 1-1.5 ounces short. I'd prefer not to add a third pump time at work and I've tried pumping before bed last night but only got barely an ounce. I nurse DD to sleep and don't stay up much later than that so I don't expect to get much at the night pump. When DD started sleeping through the night, I pumped sometimes when it I felt uncomfortable but obviously, I let my body adjust and I don't pummp in the middle of the night anymore.

So I just went out and bought some fenugreek at lunch today but don't know anything about it. I haven't talked to my doctor about it but is it safe or I should get his approval first? Will it increase my milk supply without pumping more often? Any side effects?

Any help would be appreciated. I am not generally a "medication" type of person so I'm a little nervous. TIA!
    Vivian
    Sydney (4/03)
    Avery (2/09)

nitaghei Guest

Default RE: Help with Milk Supply

I took 3 capsules of fenugreek, thrice a day, for about a week, before I noticed an increase.

Can you pump in the morning before leaving for work? That's one possible way of adding an extra session.

Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to make sure you're drinking enough water during the day. It's amazing what a difference that can make.

HTH

Nita

Thanks Nita-

I do pump before work. I pump the side that DD does not eat off of. The instructions say to take one capsule daily (500mg). How didi you know to take 3/day? Or is your capsule size different. Didi you continue to take it?
    Vivian
    Sydney (4/03)
    Avery (2/09)

nitaghei Guest

The ones I had were 620 mg, and instructions were 2 capsules, 2 to 3 times a day. I think I found the recommendation for 3 capsules 3 times a day on a LC website. I took them for about 4 weeks, and then stopped. I've not noticed any decrease since then.

HTH

Nita

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try pumping a couple of ounces off of the side that she does eat off of before you feed her in the morning - she'll still get plenty, and you will have the extra that you need to get her through the day!

Or, pump a couple of times on the weekend and use that to top off your weekday supply.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thanks Lori-

I will definitely pump more on the weekends though I really do no enjoy pumping. But I doubt I can manage pumping before DD's morning feeding as that is consistently at 5am when she wakes up and wants to eat immediately. :) I just bring her to bed and nurse and sleep some more.

Thanks.
    Vivian
    Sydney (4/03)
    Avery (2/09)

peanut4us Guest

My LC said 2 capsules 3xs a day. But that made me a real milky cow... I found that 2 capsules 2xs a day was more than enough. That was when she was really little. now that I work and pump, I might start back on that. But I'm trying to just drink more water and not worry so much about it.

When you pump, keep pumping for a few minutes after the milk stops coming out. That will help signal your body to make more.

I pump from both sides in the morning before I feed her. You can also pump on the weekends to add to your stash to make up the few ounces you are short.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I read on here to eat oatmeal to increase supply. I'm not kidding, it really did make a difference. Also remember, one glass of water for your body one glass for the milk! In other words drink LOADS of water.
    Good luck

Vivian, I also took the Fenugreek and noticed a slight improvement (but I had MAJOR supply issues). I did 4 capsules, 3x/day on the recommendation of my LC, but I can't remember the exact mg I took (I bought it at Whole Foods). It's not a heavy duty herb - it's actually used in some cooking and for help with digestion. One suggestion, you might ease into the 3x/day. My LC had me start with 1 cap, 3x/day for 2 days, then 2 caps, 3x/day for 2 days, then 3 caps, 3x/day and so on, until I got to 4. I was only taking more because I was having so much trouble with supply. It has a somewhat uncommon side effect of diarrhea, so don't be alarmed if this happens to you. I don't think it happens to most people, but it definitely happened to me. It went away after the first few days though.

Anyway, the other thing that my LC mentioned is that if you can't smell it on you (it has a vague maple syrup kind of smell, which you can probably detect just by taking a whiff of the bottle) then you don't have enough built up in your system. This is how I ended up taking 4 caps instead of the usual 3, because that's what it took to get me smelling like syrup ;)!

HTH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast