CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Survey for PIS or PY users

I would like to find out the average length of time it takes to pump using either PY or PIS. I understand everyone's supply is different. Hopefully that'll help me decide which one to get.

Thanks so much in advance!!

CBB

KGoes Guest

Default RE: Survey for PIS or PY users

10-15 minutes per side (or total if double pumping).
    Kelley
    DD born 7/03

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a PIS and spend about 10 minutes per side pumping (more if I get distracted since I read the boards while pumping, LOL!)
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the PIS, and I usually spned 20 minutes total while double pumping. However, it takes a while for me to get letdown, and I don't produce much milk, but that's not the fault of the pump. ;)
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

peanut4us Guest

PIS -- 10-12 minutes dual pumping

pritchettzoo Guest

PIS--10 to 15 minutes, and I get about 5 oz. I only pump once a day though.

I'm not sure that the pump itself will make a difference in the time you spend, although it's possible that your body could respond differently to different pumps. There are some great threads on how to get the most out of a pumping session here, especially from Lori/Momof3Labs and Karen/stillplayswithbarbies. And there is a yahoo group of moms who pump and a website that will have lots more info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html . The website was recommended by several moms here.

Also, from my research before, and from my LC, I don't think you're supposed to pump for longer than 15 minutes, 20 MAX at one time with an electric pump.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

I don't think you will get any useful information from this. You might be able to tell something if the same person has used both pumps and can compare them.

but even then it will depend on how fresh the valves are or if they need changed, as well as all sorts of other factors. The amount I pump changes day to day and even at different times of the day.

You should base your decision on the cost, the weight, the ease of use, the customer service, or whatever other features are important to you. Length of time it takes to pump depends on YOU, not whether you have a PIS or PY, they are both equally powerful and efficient.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

ITA - I don't think that this is a good way to compare the two pumps. Look at the factors that Karen lists instead, and know that you really can't go wrong with either - both pumps have been aroudn a long time, are "proven", and get rave reviews from most of their users.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks for the reply. I read in one of the posts that PY is a little less efficient than PIS. If it doesn't make that much of a difference, I think I'll go with PY then. After reading some of the posts, PY weighs less, and is cheaper, possibly easier to clean too. And I read that the customer service is excellent.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

CBB