Hi. I've been breastfeeding my 7 week baby exclusively and in the past 5 days, his bowel movements have changed from the normal yellow, seedy kind to a green, more liquidy mucous kind and I am worried. My son is peeing with regularity and frequency, so he is not dehydrated and he does not have a fever, so I don't think he is sick. I called the pediatrician's office and the nurse said that since he isn't dehydrated, green is normal for even breastfed babies. I simply am not buying this.

I thought maybe it was an allergy, so I gave up dairy for 4 days, but there was no change. Maybe I need to try longer? Also, I read on babycenter.com, that sudden changes to green, watery stools could indicate that the baby is only getting foremilk and not the hindmilk. I'm wondering if this could be our situation because although my son has continued to gain weight, he typically only nurses for 10-15 minutes at each feeding and maybe has 2 feedings a day where he goes a full 25-30 minutes. Unfortunately it seems when he feeds for these longer sessions, he often spits up large volumes of liquid.

Any suggesions or similar experiences? If there is some problem with my breastmilk, I'd love to simply put him on a bottle to help him thrive. Unfortunately, he has refused numerous attempts with a bottle so that is not an option at this time.

Thanks for any help.

Jill