Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Beshi4812 Guest

Default RE: My Breastfed Baby is having Green, Liquidy Bowel Movements

Thanks for all the reassurance. I am inclined to believe it is the foremilk/hindmilk explanation since I do only single sided feedings and they are typically only 15 minutes at a time which probably doesn't get my son to the hindmilk. So now I am doubling up on feedings on the same side and pumping the other side. While it is still green, it is more like very liquidy pea soup than the dark green it was initially and I started seeing seeds again, although not like before. this also happened to one of my friends who was exclusively breastfeeding and she said that especially for babies who are short nursers, your body will start to recognize the short feedings and will on its own adjust your milk supply so that it produces less foremilk and will start producing the hindmilk sooner during a feeding to compensate for the shorter feedings. Who knows. Nevertheless, you have all made me feel tons better.

lrg is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: My Breastfed Baby is having Green, Liquidy Bowel Movements

I had heard once too that the foremilk is what's in the breast initially and the hindmilk is what comes in when you feel the "let down" sensation.

If you ever hear any more info from your ped, please post it! I can't go back since my baby is on food (and breastmilk) now, but I've gotten a little more concerned after reading some of these posts that my Dr. brushed it off too easily. We had the green for about 2 months, it changed to dark orange liquid, then changed to orange paste that was really, really sticky. Until we started solids. But he was never a fast nurser back then - feedings were 30 - 45 minutes. So it makes me wonder if something was terribly wrong!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2