Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What does a food allergy rash look like?

I need some input here. DD, 10 months, has developed a rash on her stomach, chest and back over the past couple of days. It isn't really bright red, but is more textured bumps than anything. It actually looks a lot like the heat rash she had this summer. She does not appear to itch, doesn't have fever, is eating and sleeping well, and seems to feel fine. I can't think of any new foods she's had other than a tiny bit of pasta, which she did not like. Does this sound like a food allergy rash?

Also, what does eczema look like? Can cold weather bring on a rash? I'm trying to narrow things down here. None of my childcare books have been very helpful on this one, and I'm trying to decide whether or not she needs to see the doctor.

Thanks!

cinrein Guest

Default RE: What does a food allergy rash look like?

We haven't experienced food rashes (knock on wood), so I'm not sure what one looks like. What you describe does sound like the type of skin irritation I get when I use perfumed soaps or lotions. It usually itches though. Did you switch soaps, dryer sheets or laundry detergent?

Also, sometimes an allergic reaction to a food won't happen immediately. My niece is allergic to eggs and it wasn't until several weeks of eating eggs that she developed a rash on her torso.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

I can't think of any laundry changes, but it's possible that DH threw a fabric softener sheet in without my knowing about it. I had wondered about that, and it just might be the problem!

jubilee Guest

There is some good info on rashes at http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082900.asp there are even some pictures. I found the article really helpful as my DS has a bad rash right now too.

heidi_timms Guest

Default We have this rash too!!!!!!!!!!!

We have this exact rash. It's on DD's back and on the backs of her arms and legs and on her cheeks a little bit. On her cheeks, it looks like chapped skin. On her body it looks like excema. I started using excema soap and it got worse. I am wondering if it's dryness? I have been using Aquaphor healing ointment a few times a day and it seemed to help a little bit.

If you figure this out, let me know! We have a trip to the ped in a few days so I'm trying not to make an extra trip since there are so many sick kids there in the office.

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

Julie,

Where are the pictures? Are they part of the link you posted? I didn't see them, but I was looking quickly.

Thanks!

jubilee Guest

I can't find them now! I swear I was just on that page and they were there. Sorry!