Default EBM--what is the soapy smell supposed to smell like?

I'm thinking this is just a stupid question but I'd like to know. In looking at past threads and responses to what I've posted before, I've learned about the excess lipase and the soapy smell that is the telltale sign. But what smell? What kind of soap? 'Cuz the smell of Ivory is a lot different than the smell of Dove. Seriously. Or is there another way to describe the smell?

And if you have the excess lipase, the scalding is suppose to minimize the problem? What if you don't scald? Will the milk be bad for the baby to drink? Or will it just be less nutritious?

cma Guest

Default RE: EBM--what is the soapy smell supposed to smell like?

All the sites and the LCs say soapy...but my EBM never took on a soapy smell. Mine was more of a metalic smell.

The LCs told me to scald it...not boil it, quick cool and then freeze it.

We didn't do this for #1 and she refused taking a bottle forever at 4 months.

We've been doing this with #2 and he's still taking his daily bottle.

Of course the fact that #2 is taking a bottle may just a matter of his taste.

I have a friend who didn't have to do all this with #1 and he was fine with drinking her milk. But with #2, she has to do the same thing I'm doing.

If baby will take milk without scalding, I wouldn't think you'd have to go thru all that work. I do it just to ensure a night out once in a while.

Good luck!

nohomama Guest

I think in terms of the soap smell, you'll know it when you smell it. It's also pretty obvious when you taste the milk. Think more along the lines of an unscented bar or dish soap rather than their scented cousins.

As for your questions, yes, scalding can minimize the problems associated with excess lipase. If you don't scald it just means your milk will have a shorter shelf. The problem is exacerbated at colder temps because of increased enzymatic activity so you may find your freezer stash goes before your fridge stash. In terms of nutrition, there is some loss with heating but scalded EBM still trumps formula because of the anitbodies it provides.

I want to add though that I'm not certain a soapy smell = excess lipase, at least not in the extreme. In those cases, the excess lipase will cause milk to actually sour because the lipase digests the fat in the milk. Most of the descriptions I've read of EBM with excess lipase describe the milk as smelling and tasting like vomit, a far cry from soap.

My frozen EBM always had a soapy smell. Lola didn't seem to mind the smell or taste of it until she was somewhere between 9 months and a year when she began to refuse a bottle. Even then, I wasn't certain if it was the taste of the milk that was objectionable or the bottle itself.

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

what is excess lipase and why is it bad? this is the first i've ever heard of any of this, and am just really curious.

i've always thought my ebm (though i rarely pump) smells almost like dirty dishwater (not soapy but like all the soap has disappeared and it's just "sort of dirty" cold dish water. does that make sense?

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

nohomama Guest

Lipase is an enzyme that digests fats. An excess of it in breastmilk can cause EBM to sour or go bad quickly when stored at cold temps.

cma Guest

I found this when I first encountered this issue 2 years ago!

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/l...106487,00.html