Default Does all formula taste/smell like this?

I'd like to use formula to mix with cereal although I don't feed DS formula (exclusively BF) based on my dr's recommendation. I bought Enfamil with Lipil but when I mixed it, it smelled so weird - I even gagged! Is there a formula out there that doesn't smell bad? I can't feed him this knowing that it makes me gag... TIA
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Does all formula taste/smell like this?

Did you taste it? I'm serious. I also thought formula smelled bad, but I tasted it and it wasn't bad. It tasted sort of like sweet milk (which I guess is sort of what it is, LOL!).
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Enfamil w/ Lipil sure does have a "weird smell", not a sour smell though. When I first mixed it, I thought the bottle wasn't washed thoroughly. Taste it to be certain. It should have a sweet taste. Don't know if all formulas have this smell because we only use this brand.

lrg is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Funny, I thought the same thing when I first used it!!! Thought it smelled kind of metallic. I couldn't bring myself to taste it, though. My baby will not touch it. I have not wanted to try to purchase other brands and waste the $$ if he won't eat those either. So I'll be curious to know if others say they all smell that way. We only have 1.5 months left to go before we start on milk, anyway.

amp Guest

DH hates the smell of the Enfamil Lipil, but DS never minded it. I don't know if all lipil formulas smell this way or not, but I know that one did. We are currently using the lipil store brands at Target (Healthy Baby) and Walmart (Parent's Choice), which are made by the same company (not the same as Enfamil though). We just switched a month ago now that DS is older (he's 8 mths now) and wouldn't mind the switch. This brand does not smell they way Enfamil does. I can't speak for any of the others.

And I agree with Beth, taste it first. Chances are, it doesn't taste bad.

JElaineB is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used regular Enfamil with Iron for DS. It smells and tastes much better than Enfamil LIPIL, IMHO. I have read elsewhere that it is the LIPIL additives (DHA and ARA) that give it the metallic smell and taste, so regular formulas will not smell or taste metallicy. My DS drank the LIPIL a couple times from the free can but it gave him an allergy ring when he pooped. So I just stuck which the regular Enfamil.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JenCA Guest

We use Nestle Good Start (formerly Carnation Good Start), and it doesn't smell bad at all. The powder smells like vanilla, even after mixed with water.

As an aside...my DD won't eat cereal mixed with formula; she'll only eat it mixed with water. The formula definitely makes the cereal taste richer, and apparently, she doesn't care for the taste.