JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default what did you wear after delivering??

With my son I did not even bother to take any clothes to the hospital. I stayed in the hospital gown for the 36 hours I was there.....why ruin my own stuff. But we have moved, and now I am delivering at the hospital that I work at, PLUS some of DHs colleagues are there too, so I am worried that I am going to have a TON more visitors than just the close friends and family I had before. I am not sure I want to see some of these folks in the hospital gown. Any advice? I am planning on breastfeeding, so I still need something easily accessible. I never wore nursing clothes with my son, so I don't have any nursing PJs or tops...I am fine nursing in just a tee. I am not sure how practical wearing PJ bottoms would be since the nurses check you so frequently, but I really don't want my bum and those lovely mesh panties hanging out. Any suggestions???

Jera
    Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
    Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

Default RE: what did you wear after delivering??

I had a c/s so the nurses only checked my incision. But I wore a tank top and jammie bottoms.

I found some decent maternity camisoles with shelf bras at Target for $12. I have a whole collection of them and plan on taking those along with jersey knit Target jammie bottoms and a button down men's shirt to throw over the camis for modesty purposes. The shelf bra will keep the breast pads in place and are easy enough to yank down for feedings.

I don't think the nurses will be checking you so regularly that you can't wear bottoms.

The other option is to wear a knee length gown and have a cute matching robe to go with. Both Gap or Target have reasonably priced ones.

Don't forget slippers or flip flops! I stepped on a piece of glass in my room. Apparently the previous "guest' broke a vase and didn't mention it to housekeeping - just kicked the chunks under the bed x(.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wore pajama pants and regular t-shirts when I was in the hospital.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Jera,
    I did the same as you in the hospital, but I did bring a nice long wraparound bathrobe. If I were in your shoes that's what I would do, just wrap up in a robe if someone comes in. However, having been there I know that it's hard to rush for your robe before someone comes in, so I agree a nightshirt would be nice. I bought Pine Cone Hill pajamas for post partum when I got home and I LOVED them because they were so pretty. I got mine at the gift shop at the hospital and boy, I don't recommend that, it was so expensive! Here's the link: http://www.pineconehill.com/retail_sleepwear.html

Not all of the patterns come in the nightshirt. I got the coral toile which is a little bright but I liked it.

PS. My mother wore very elaborate silk embroidered jackets she called bedcoats when she was receiving guests after I was born, maybe something like that would work? They button up the middle or have just one button/hook & eye. They're often quilted. I found one and it's on sale!: http://www.garnethill.com/cgi-bin/gh...ItemOID=408152

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03