New Mom Mary Guest

Default How can A Pea in the Pod charge so much?

I will admit, I like to spend $ on clothes...but $80 for a T-shirt? That I'll only wear for 5 months at most? I don't care who co-brands the item - there's no reason why a T-shirt that is $40 in non-maternity suddenly becomes twice as expensive in a maternity store!

I know I can find T-shirts elsewhere - and I've bought other things there - but their T's seem like such a rip-off! I just needed to vent!
    Having said that...has anyone found a store that sells nice t-shirts for a decent amount of money?

Thanks,
    Mary

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: How can A Pea in the Pod charge so much?

I've gotten some great maternity tees from Gap Maternity. We have a BabyGap outlet here that sells a small selection of Gap Maternity basics. The ones I've found to hold up the best are ones with spandex.
    As for A Pea in the Pod- I guess if you normally spend $80 on a t-shirt (I don't, but lots of people in my area do) then you wouldn't go down to 9.99 just because you are pregnant! I've managed to keep everything under about $15 and I've bought some great pieces from places like Gap, Mimi, Motherhood, and Babystyle.
    Good luck!!

Lands End has GREAT maternity Ts. Liked them even better than Gap. The newer Gap ones (as opposed to the design two years ago when they first started maternity stuff), I have found, run particularly small and fitted. Great if you're thin to start out with. Otherwise you look like a sausage that's attempting to shoplift ;).

Good luck

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

amazz Guest

Ditto to the LE! They are so soft and will last you way longer than your 1st pregnancy. The ones I got at the very beginning still look brand new and I only have 6 weeks left. I will probably wear them on my fat days after the baby comes and I am a "normal" size again just because they are so comfy and will definitely be able to wear them for #2.

Angela
    EDD 10/15/04
    A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

i like my old navy t-shirts for the "shorts and t-shirt" look- ya know, with sneakers, running around town. i like my gap tees from 2 years ago, except that they are too big for me. wish i had gotten them smaller. maybe the new ones would be better, but too bad i already have maternity clothes and shouldn't really buy all news ones...

i just got a michael stars shirt (see other post!) that was still rather pricey, but not $80. it is awesome for very comfortable, but "cool" with your jeans and boots for the "out" look.

i think there is a brand called, um, hmmm, belly basics? maybe? that has good tees. and maybe tummi makes tees, too??

we have a few great maternity boutiques around here that have "cool" brands that are really expensive to me, but like i said, definitely less than $80!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Marisa, you are too funny with the sausage comment. I guess I should have pointed out that they are great if you like them small and fitted!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't mind spending it on nice classic stuff b/c I do intend to be pregnant again, plus resale...but the stuff I got from Pea in the Pod isn't big enough for the last few months of prenancy and wasn't any better quality than the stuff I got at Mimi, so lesson learned. I have a hard time with maternity shirts in general so I'm not much help. Babystyle perhaps...some of their t-shirts are doing pretty well for me these days (but they are 3/4 sleeve...my arms seem too fat when pregnant for short sleeves in public...). I agree on Gap...small and fitted...some work for me, some don't. I have a bunch from Mimi Maternity too that work OK. And Lands End works OK for me too.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

New Mom Mary Guest

Thanks all! I didn't really even know that Lands End made maternity clothes, so I'll take a look there, and I did order a few T-shirts from The Gap.
    Thanks again for the feedback!

Mary

Roo Guest

Amen, sister! It's not so much the price of A Pea in the Pod items -- it's quality relative to price. Although I am impressed with some of the Lily Pulitzer maternity clothing from A Pea in the Pod (I have some dresses and a bathing suit), I think many of their items are not of the best quality. For instance, some of the Michael Stars t-shirts are not hemmed and just don't look as nicely made as the non-maternity Michael Stars t-shirts that I already own.

Another issue is that I want to direct most of my energy, time and money towards my baby. It just pains me when I have trouble finding maternity clothing that is worth its price!

I recommend Gap Maternity as well as the Belly Basics clothing (available at nordstrom.com and babystyle.com).