KimberleyDawn Guest

Default I'm thinking of skipping the traditional high chair...

and just going with the Safety 1st All-In-One Reclining Booster Seat.

http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=84

Am I crazy or what? Suggestions and advice welcome!
    Kim

Default RE: I'm thinking of skipping the traditional high chair...

We're going to do the same thing, but no real life experience with doing that just yet!

So I may be just as crazy as you ;)!

MinnieMouse Guest

We have the First Years regular portable booster (non reclining) and I've used the Safety First version of the same.

To be honest I couldn't see using ONLY this at home. Once it's strapped to the chair it is VERY difficult to get under it to clean...and there is TONS of food that falls under there...without unstrapping it after every meal. We found this a HUGE pain in the neck when using this booster on vacation at relative's houses.

We used the booster at restaurants when dd was eating off the tray and I didn't want her eating off the table. It worked GREAT for that purpose. We left it in the trunk .

I wouldn't trade in my highchair at home for it at all. We have an older Chicco (pre toy tray) and it's a blessing. Rolls from room to room, multiple height settings for use at different tables (we use it outside on the patio most of the summer)....works great.

Oh...and between the FY and SF boosters...I like the FY one hands down. the SF one was much harder to use.

HTH

Christine

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No personal experience, but using only the safety 1st chair worked so well for one of my friends, that she talked another of our friends into going the same route.

I have this but the pattern is cream with a bear on it (from BRU). I like it a lot. DD has been using it since 5 months old, she's 6.5 now. I never used it in full recline, just on the slightest incline when she was starting to sit up.

I chose this because I live in an apartment with less than 1000 sq. ft. Needless to say, I need to be space conscious. This chair straps onto one of our IKEA chairs and it sits fine at our table. If I had a regular high chair, it would take up too much space.

Cleaning it is easy. It wipes down quickly. There are no little crevices between the seat itself and the sides of the chair for food to fall into, unlike another brand, which is why I went with this chair. Sometimes food gets into the holes where the straps come through, but it wipes out easily. The toys on the tray are basically useless so I removed them.

So far, no complaints. I have no plans to make this a portable chair because it's heavy (i.e. sturdy!)

cara1 Guest

That's what I do, and love it. MIL watches DS during the week, and they've got one there too. We have the First Years reclining one, however. I like it better than Safety First. It's helpful to put a receiving blanket or towel under the seat on top of your chair to catch dropped food, and then you can chuck it in the laundry. It's not hard to clean for us. Once in a blue moon, I unstrap it or lift the seat part out to clean underneath and/or throw the seat in the dishwasher. We also took it with us to restaurants before DS was big enough to use the restaurant high chair. This has been the greatest thing for us!

JLiebCamm Guest

Afer debating the same choices, I ended up getting both. The booster chair is a good portable option and takes up minimal space, but the highchair provides a much safer place for my son to hang out and play when I am trying to get things done in the kitchen. If you are short on space and only want the seat for feeding, you may be happy getting the booster.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My best friend has 2 of the regular (non-reclining) ones. Although they have a highchair, her 2-year-old has claimed it as "hers," so her nearly 1-year-old has never really been it and has been mostly in the booster seat. The other cool thing about it is that you can just put it on the floor if there aren't enough chairs.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss