cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Graco 6 speed open top swing??? BRU model vs. Target

First of all is this swing ok to use for infants. From what I have read it is but just wondering from those of you that use it IRL. Do I need extra pads so baby will fit? How early can I start using it? 2-3 weeks?

Also, the swing at BRU runs around 99.99 but what appears to be the same exact swing (in a different print) runs for about 80.00 at Target. Does anyone know if there is a differencec? TIA

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Graco 6 speed open top swing??? BRU model vs. Target

Our hospital nursery uses swings for the newborns. As long as you have the swing reclined and the baby's head supported well (use rolled up receiving blankets), you can use it right away. Some babies don't like it right away, though, so if it doesn't go over well the first time, try again in another week or two!

I don't know about the BRU vs. Target swings, but don't get too hung up on features. The baby doesn't care. Get something with a recline, at least 2 speeds, some sort of music, and batteries (vs. wind up). At least that was the essential list to me. You might want to look at the Fisher Price cradle swings - they are a little more suited for infants than the Gracos, because of the position of the seat.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree. I had the 6 swing model with music. Well, I only ever used two speeds (really slow and somwhat fast) and I HATED the songs after about 10 days.

If I had to do it again I would get the FP Cradle Swing. Idon't know if they are necessarily better for infants, but I think you can definitely use them longer than the Graco swings.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I'd go for the cheaper one. All of the 6-speed Graco swings are essentially the same (6 speeds, songs, timer) but have different fabrics and toys. Those with an infant head support, mobile and/or more sophistcated toys on the tray (i.e. steering wheel) seem to be more expensive. I only use 2 speeds as well. I think a 2-speed swing would be fine. BTW, try out the FP cradle swing in the store and see what you think. We got one as a gift and it went way too fast (on low) for a newborn IMO.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Graco 6 speed and started using it the day we came home from the hospital. Rolled up blankets work fine as head supports. We also swaddled dd and put her in the swing in her "burrito wrap" (with the safety belt). She will fall asleep in the swing every time now.

memedee Guest

duh I must be a little soft but where do you put the rolled up receiving blanket
    Like the head support on the infant carrier or where?
    I dont know why but I cant picture it
    OY

MinnieMouse Guest

It says in the directions to slow it down for newborns by draping a blanket over the bottom of the swing and letting it drag..worked like a charm for us.

We had the older model (noah's ark) of the FP cradle swing and I wouldn't go with any other one...granted dd was a peanut, but we were able to use it well past 1yr..I think to 16 or 17mo! Dd loved to sleep in it when ultra fussy. We would never have been able to use the swing that long with a standard open top swing since you need to stop using it when the child can reach out and grab the side rails...they can't do that in the cradle swing.

Dh and I are very jealous about the new models FP has out both are so adorable! :-)

HTH

Christine

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wherever baby needs support - sometimes next to their body (if they are too narrow for the swing), or next to their head to keep it from flopping over. The Graco swings don't have much of a recline, so baby needs some additional support. Rolled receiving blankets work great.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009