bathbody Guest

Default Difference Between Humidifiers & Vaporizers

I guess I don't understand the difference between humidifiers and vaporizers.
    Which should I be purchasing for the nursery?

bathbody Guest

Default RE: Difference Between Humidifiers & Vaporizers

Bumping up, because I still need an answer!

Jeanmick Guest

I might be wrong, but I think the differences are:

1. Vaporizers: Uses heat/steam to force water vapor into the room. Can be used with Vicks or room scents. Vaporizors are one type of humidifier.

2. Humidifiers: any device used to increase room humidity. Can be a vaporizor, or other type such as "evaporative" humidifiers which blow air through a wet filter (Kaz is one brand).

Evaporative humidifiers are nice for nurseries as there is no heat, they're fairly quiet, cheap to operate, and will run all night. We got the Kaz brand at Target.

smomom Guest

I'm not an expert, but the vaporizer will generate a warm steam in the room. Humidifiers usually offer a cool mist.

When I asked my ped about it, I was told that the vaporizer will work best to clear congestion. However, because they do generate a warm steam they can be a burn hazard for a curious little one, so humidifiers are usually recommended.

I already had a vaporizer since I am a chronic alergy/sinus sufferer, so I have used that so far. I added a little eucalyptus oil (Kaz will work too) to my vaproizer. Now that DS is getting mobile, I will be in the market for a humidifier myself.

I hope that helps.

peanut4us Guest

Don't know the answer. I only know that my doctor said it doesn't matter. When our DD had a cold we used an ultrasonic humidifier that I had had for myself years back. So, you might want to ask your ped to get their recommendation.