hovegator Guest

Default Pack N Play that has the best bassinet feature

i am planning to keep my baby in my room for the first few weeks, but then he is definitely going to his own room and crib. Which Pack N Play models have actual an actual bassinet feature? And which is the best? I've noticed that many just come with a changing table that a newborn could sleep in if he had to, but i know that some have a real bassinet. Any suggestions? p.s. i know that Pack N Play is a brand name. I am open to any brand though.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Pack N Play that has the best bassinet feature

I'm not up on the PNP models so can't give you advice, but did want to mention that a newborn could NOT sleep on the changing table for a PNP - newborns are much more wiggly than you would expect!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Hi, we have the Graco Care Station with a 3/4-size bassinet. Our son slept in it the first few weeks, well, when he DID sleep... He also slept in the stroller (Pliko) and actually most in my arms. lol. I was very happy with the bassinet feature and the fact it is bigger than the 1/2-size.

Here is the link to see it at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...033341-7084104

Not sure whether you will be able to see on irl, here is the link to some more detailed pictures. (I took them when I thought I was going to sell it. So glad that I decided to keep it though. It is now blocking our fireplace and also works as toy storage. :) )

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b3495a5884f9

Sorry I didn't know about other models since DH was the one who rushed to BRU and bought it the day I came home from the hospital with the baby. lol. HTH. Cheers, Lin

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have the Graco PNP called "MacArthur". It has a full size bassinett - same as the whole PNP. It doesn't have a changing table. I like it because DS could spread out in it and have room to grow (before he hit 15lbs) so it was good to also travel with.

One thing though is that the PNP bassinets tend to move a bit and make like a shifting noise when baby moves around a lot. Our little guy was quite the active newborn. It's stable, but it make noise when the baby moves a lot - sorta like fabric rubbing.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had the full bassinet and it was nice, however I think the 3/4 bassinet would be OK. The weight limit on the bassinet was 15 lbs, so I couldn't use that part as long as I had hoped, which is why I think the 3/4 would have been big enough.

Wanted to reiterate that the changing table would not be safe for the baby to sleep in.

As far as the brand name, it seems to me I've always seen the Graco having the best safety ratings.

I also wanted to mention that it is not necessarily imperative to get the baby into his/her own room and crib in the first few weeks. I got the impression (and I could very well be misunderstanding) that you would consider it "wrong" for the baby to stay in your room. I'm not trying to push any parenting methods on you, but you might want to keep an open mind about it and see what your baby's temperament is. I've seen so many people on these boards who said they were sure they would want the baby in it's own room and in the crib ASAP, but changed their minds when the reality of parenting hit. And a lot of people feel like they are "failing" because they went into it with that mindset, which is unfortunate because keeping the baby close is a great choice for a lot of parents.

Good luck to you! :)
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

quikeye Guest

Hi, I have the Eddie Bauer (made by Cosco?) playard w/ a full sized bassinet with a vibration feature and changing table, and like it (when ds will sleep in it!) We bought it from BRU in the Morgan pattern; amazon doesn't list it anymore though. It may still be available in-store...?

It's much heavier than I thought it would be, but I guess it's the normal weight. We keep it in our roon for ds to sleep in; he used it for a few days and then we brought him to sleep w/ us at night (he was incredibly restless & wouldn't sleep well). We still have it set up in the room & he naps in it occasionally. The bassinet is a nice size for him-- uses same "mattress" as the bottom of the playard, to give you a sense of how large it is. We tried the vibration in the bassinet but ds didn't seem to notice it, so we don't use it (that, plus the fact it was full sized & we liked the pattern were 3 of the big factors for us in choosing this playard).

I personally like the full sized bassinet, but haven't used a 3/4 to compare it to. I figure, why not? Plus, the weight limit for mine is 22 lbs, so if the 3/4 bassinet has a lower weight rating I would choose the full sized. We were also able to buy pack n play sheets that fit the included "mattress" as well-- don't know how easily available sheets or mattress covers for a 3/4 bassinet can be found? (I think most of my decision was based on ow the playard looked though-- it may help to take a look @ different ones and choose one of those--). Good luck!

Here's a pic of the playard but in a different pattern/dark blue...