cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Alternatives for sand for "Sand and water table"

I know I read here about people who used rice or dried beans instead of sand in their sand & water table. I have read thru old posts and can't find anything.

I just got our table but haven't put sand in yet since I wanted to know more about the alternatives and why use them.

Why not use sand? Is it messier, clumps in water, etc?

Julia doesn't put much in her mouth so I am not concerned about that.

Any info would be great! TIA~

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

Chelsey333 Guest

Default RE: Alternatives for sand for "Sand and water table"

We have sand in our sand and water table. I would only put rice or dried beans in it if you are keeping it inside, bec sand would be messy inside. But for outside, I don't find the sand to be too messy. My ds is pretty good about keeping the sand in the table. I put a couple shovels and trucks in it and he just piles sand into the dump trucks over and over again. I wouldn't put food in it for outside, bec then you would have to deal with ants.

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have sand in our sand side and water in the water side. And the table is outside on our deck. Declan is always dumping the sand in the water side or onto the deck. He has not figured out that the sand is supposed to stay in the sand side. Drives me crazy.

Some times we drain the water from the water side since he gets so messy - arms up to his elbows in the water, then arms in the sand.

Love the table though.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a few bins of different materials for the table: beans, rice, corn, packing peanuts, salt... I use different things for different tactile and fine motor experiences.

My kids fav is filling it up with shaving creme.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

lotsofjoy Guest

one of my favorites is corn meal. It has a similar "fine" feel to sand.

if no water is involved, crushed oreos can be fun too.... looks just like dirt but tastes better! LOL!

-Renee
    Chaya (9/01)
    Rhianne & Solana (5/24/04)

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I will have to try the shaving cream- sounds fun!

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

luvtoshop Guest

We put water on both sides. At dd's "school" they put wheat germ, oatmeal, dried peas, flax seed, etc. in the bin. I love the shaving cream idea. Will have to try that. DD loves to play with shaving cream in the shower. : )

NewGrandma

I taught preschool for 4 years. My classes of 2 year olds and 3 year olds included special needs children and they all LOVED to play in our sand table. We never used sand because we were inside but we used uncooked elbow macaroni and had no problems at all! I had a special education teacher assisting me with the special needs children and they played successfully with the macaroni. We added measuring cups, bowls, etc. for them to fill and they had so much fun. Since the macaroni is completely edible there was no harm when the children wanted a taste as you know they are sure to do!