Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pritchettzoo Guest

Default Kettler Question (please don't shoot!) TRU models v. Others

Is anyone unhappy with the top-of-the-line TRU model? I understand that it doesn't have parental control and the free-wheeling feature. At this point, I think Gracie could steer okay when we're pushing, but the free-wheeling thing (getting her feet caught up in the pedals) does concern me a little.

But the fact that it comes with air tires, a seat belt, a push bar, and the dump bucket for $80 seems like a great deal. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=toys&n=507846

It looks like the Brummi has all the TRU features plus free-wheeling for $109 http://www.trains4tots.com/kebrw.html (random site from google). But no air tires?

Just wondering if anyone had tried the lower-priced models, been unhappy, and upgraded or wished they'd bought an Air Jumbo or something. I wish one of these would just appear at my door and I wouldn't have to think about them any more, kwim? :P

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and One More (coming July '05)

papal Guest

Default RE: Kettler Question (please don't shoot!) TRU models v. Others

Anna,
    Not sure how the free-wheeling thing works, but if you put the foot-rest then the pedals should not bother her, right?
    Dh was admiring the free-wheeling feature this morning... the front wheel goes forward and backward without the pedals moving... leela's feet don't reach the pedals yet, so we are using the footrest.
    But if the TRU model stops the pedals from moving with the footrest, then it seems like an awesome deal!!

amp Guest

We are 100% completely happy/thrilled w/ our TRU model. Jake holds the handle bars fairly steady, so we don't mind not having "parental control". And, you do still have some control, even though the parent bar doesn't technically steer. We haven't missed it most days!

I can probably count on one hand the number of times Jake has gotten his foot up in the tire area, and we've noticed the resistance right away. It has never caused him any real pain or damage, as he is always in sturdy shoes when riding. He/we never missed the foot rest or the free wheeling features.

Again, we are completely happy with ours and are glad we saved the $20+ plus shipping we saved!

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We don't have either, but I think I'm leaning toward either the TRU model you linked to, or the Brummi through the current co-op. With the co-op discount and free shipping, the Brummi wouldn't be considerably more than the TRU model, and the free-wheeling feature is appealing to me. If I get a Brummi, I might add a footrest (if I see that we need one after we get the trike). Air tires aren't a big issue for me, as DD will ride mostly on pavement.

Can anyone tell us how the Kettler non-air tires do on grass?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    23 months and counting!

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Anna,

I just PM'd you!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    23 months and counting!

toomanystrollers Guest

I hate to admit it :( but 3 yo DS prefers his sister's old Kiddio trike here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

Compared to the Kettler Happy (non-air) we bought him last year.

pritchettzoo Guest

Why do you think? Just because he's trying to make your life difficult? ;) Or is there a "real" reason?

Thanks!

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and One More (coming July '05)

toomanystrollers Guest

The kiddio trike is easier for him to pedal. The pedals on the Kettler seem to almost skip/slip when he's pedalling - I'm not sure if there's a reason - the flywheel action maybe?? But his littliest sister has her eye on the Kettler so I think everyone will be happy FINALLY :)

jubilee Guest

Another Kettler option is the "special" One Step Ahead model. It has every feature except air tires. It has the freewheel (pedels don't move around and wack the child in push mode), it has the steering lock (you can lock it and child can't turn the handles and vear you offcourse), it has the pushbar (removable), and it has the dump bucket. It also has the "contoured" seat that many have stated they like, I personally don't think that matters. It has lots of adjustments to make it fit your child for years- seat adjustments and frame adjustments. It is $100 for the original version and $130 for the Navigator version (swivel rearwheels) plus like $10 for shipping. Also there is a discount code listed in the Bargains Alert section here for a 10 or 15% off! And if you are a member of Ebates (that's free) you will get 4% rebate back too!! That is how I got Logan's Kettler and I feel it was a GREAT deal! Here is the link- http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...755&change=117

eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

That seems like a really good deal if you're interested in the Navigator but don't care about the air tires. The only difference I could see between it and the regular Navigator (besides the seat) is the regular Navigator is tandem-seat compatible, and the OSA one isn't. It looked like a regular straight frame. Do you know if that's the case?

My DH was set on the air tires, unfortunately, or I think we could have saved a bunch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast