Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    depositonly Guest

Default Is the Peg Perego Prima Pappa really that bad?

Hello:
    I was looking for a highchair, with the intentions of buying the Fisher Price Healthy Care, as per the recommendations of the Baby Bargains Book. At the store, (Babies R Us) the Prima Pappa was smiling and winking to me with its killer looks. I can't resist it! I read that it is a nightmare to clean. Upon close inspection, I can only find one place where food can get trapped. Am I overlooking something? Also, the book says that the tray is too high, and too far from the child. I can't really try it with my munchkin, as he is only 7 weeks old. I want to buy it now, as it seems a nice place for him to join us at the table or living room... even if he can't eat yet. Is this only a problem with small babies, (he isn't) or is it really a problem for most? Please tell me about your experience. I hope you can say a good word about it. I am dying for it! p.s. How can a highchair that is such a popular success be all that bad? They haven't even changed the design in a few years.Thank you all for your time.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Is the Peg Perego Prima Pappa really that bad?

I have a very tall boy (95th+ percentile most of his life), and the tray was still too high for him! The tray was also so far away from him that he was always covered in food. And the high tray height meant that his sleeves dragged through the food on the tray. There are plenty of nooks and crannies that can hide food.

IMO, this chair is NOT worth the inflated price tag on it!! You can get a nicer chair for half the price. It's popular with new moms because of its looks - that is often all that it takes!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

depositonly Guest

But which one is the nicer chaier for half the price? I think the Fisher Price looks ugly!

DDowning is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm in the pro-PP camp. I picked it because it coordinated with my decor. Sad to admit that, I know, but I just couldn't handle the other choices out there. Mine was a registry gift so of course, I didn't pay for it myself but I've been very happy with it. Carson has only been in the 25-30th percentile for height but the tray height itself hasn't been an issue. When he was younger, I of course didn't really need the tray, I just tilted him back. When he got to sitting up on his own, I just kept him strapped in and left the tray off, pulled him up to our kitchen table and let him eat from there. Even now with the tray on, I like that the height at its tallest position still clears our table so we can still have him as if he were sitting with us, instead of off to the side. As for food getting stuck, yep, it happens. I clean it out as best I can and then what I do about once a month or so is take the whole chairpad off and scrub it good, along with the seat. I throw the straps in the wash every now and then too, though you do what you can with the strap that clips between his legs. To be honest the hardest part to clean is the space between the chair and the legs that hold it up. After the abuse my son gives it, I like that it still is holding up fairly well and plan to use it for my daughter when she's at the highchair stage. Finally, I also like the fact that when we no longer need it, it will still have a high resale value because of the Peg Perego name.

HTH!
    Deidra

Mommy to
    DS (2003)
    DD (2005)
    Kelly's Kids Consultant

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I looked at the PP-PP and agree with Lori. My DD was sitting too low in the thing and she's over 97% for height. As I recall, the seat nor the tray height were adjustable - big flaw in design. The salesfolks agreed with me.

On the other hand, if you really love it, I'm sure you can make it work for you. Try your baby in the chair, and see if you still like it.

I don't like the looks of plastic high chairs - can't distinguish between the FP and PP. We have the 4-stage reclining booster seat from First Years ($20) and love it. For later, we have a Kinderzeat, which will last us for years and years. I have trouble with the PP because you can get a Kinderzeat (lovely, adjustable wood chair) for the same price!

I got a PP-PP free as a hand-me-down, so I use it. The nice things about it are the recline, the cushiness, and *maybe* the resale value. If I had paid $200 for it, I don't think I'd like/recommend it for the price. I haven't used the tray yet as I spoon feed DD.

Trust us owners, there are plenty of places for food to fall!
    Believe me, I had to clean it out from the previous owners. Now it's covered in sweet potatoes again -- but at least they're *our* sweet potatoes! :)

Sorry, I don't have other recs for you... I didn't look at others. Personally, I think the PP is pretty ugly. So plasticky. The Svan is really cool looking!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, I personally think that all of the plastic high chairs are pretty ugly, including the PP! But if you compare features, the PP offers nothing for the additional $100 except the brand name. Mine was a gift; I'm so glad that I didn't spend MY money on this thing!

I was thrilled when Colin boycotted his high chair at 15 months and moved to a strap on booster chair, then to his Kinderzeat, which is so much prettier! Honestly, for the next baby, we may skip the PP and go straight to the booster chair!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

tigalig Guest

We have had ours for over three years and I generally like it. I'm not sure about trapped food anywhere - the vacuum gets everything out, but I'm compulsive about such things so maybe that's why the food trap idea is foreign to me. I will say that the tray is a bit high, especially since our dd is short, but I still use it every day, at least twice a day, and it's not a hindrance to her eating at all. I, too, fell in love with the look it had and preferred it to everything else. When our ds finished using it (he had the chesapeake blue and white cover), I put it away and then ordered a new (leatherette white) cover for it just in time for our dd's arrival! I learned then that they had redone the straps and the improved version was so tempting that I almost bought it, but I didn't. I never considered the re-sale value and it was a gift, but if I had to do it over again, I think I would buy it - at least until I read every post here and learn of all the options available now. Good luck to you!

I really like mine. Yes it is a pain to clean. However I love the easy height adjustment. I love the compact fold. I love the one hand tray, and one hand recline. My kids are tall and I have never had an issue with the height on it or the tray height as some of the pp did.

It was okay for my dd, but got put away early due to moving and stuff (around 20 months). Ds used it from a few months (long before food, just to keep him near the family at the table, etc) until we wore the seat pad completely out. I thought of getting rid of it. I packed it away. My dh got me to order a new seat pad after a few friends suggested using it as a coloring spot or playdough table. Well ds brought it right back to the table and is eating every meal in it again. He had a fit today that I left the tray off, lol. He will be 3 next week.

I certainly think I have gotten my moneys worth out of it. My friends with cheaper chairs have gone through multiple chairs, often having at last one per kiddo. I will say the other one I have seen that I would think about is the Chicco which I saw for $100 at BJs today, maybe it would be worth it to look into something like that.

HTH~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I like mine and so does my son. I haven't had problems with it and find it easy to clean (tan leatherette). I didn't have a height problem even though my son is small. I had posted a pic here before and it looks like some models the where the armrests are are about an inch higher than in some others. At least mine looked lower than another pic posted. I know a lot of people (off the board) who have this chair and absolutely love it. My son has been using it for a year and a half and is still using it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast