Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jumperoo Safety/Development Advice

My husband talked me into purchasing a FP Jumperoo for our 6mo DD - she loved the one at a friends house. I'm not a fan of stationary activities. Not to mention the way my friends 1yr DS bangs around in his jumperoo. I made DH & the Nanny promise no more than 20 minutes/day. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this contraption. I'm planning on putting a shock absorbing mat underneath, but I'm really worried the bouncing could effect her ankles, shins, legs, etc.

Thanks!

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Jumperoo Safety/Development Advice

We have one and DS loves it (more so at 6-9 months). They've been selling doorway jumpers for years and I haven't heard any complaints about leg problems, etc. Additionally, it isn't is the same league as an exersaucer or walker, as the child can only jump, not walk/pivot, so I don't think it will have any effect on walking development. DS liked to sit in it in front of the window by his grandparents and watch the cars and trucks drive by (jumping, of course, each time one went by) and now we'll put him in it for the occassional "Signing Times" viewing.
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom~
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040204/2/2/4/-6/.png[/img][/url]

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm a pediatric physical therapist, and I've posted many things on this board when people have asked for advice about saucers...many of those same principles apply to jumpers. In fact, I'm even less a fan of jumpers (of any type) than I am of saucers.

They can encourage tip toe standing, as well as an abnormal movement pattern known as "extensor thrust." They can put quite a bit of stress on the baby's spine, pelvis, and legs. They encourage a lordotic (sway backed) posture as well. It just isn't good in general from a postural standpoint. They can encourage muscle imbalances that can lead to postural issues down the road as well.

Additionally, any time you use a "device" like a saucer, walker, and jumper, it can negatively impact the acheivement of gross motor milestones. Limiting the use to less than 20 mins per day helps, but personally I am not a fan of any of these contraptions. We don't own any of them, and when I was working, we actually had pamphlets that we handed out to families with research on the topic. I worked w/ a pediatric physical therapist when I was an intern, and she and her husband (a pediatric orthopedic surgeon BTW) were very very anti "device" of any kind (saucers, walkers and jumpers). That is how I got interested in the topic. I actually did a bulletin board for a pediatrician's office when I was a student that included research info on saucers, walkers and jumpers. The pediatrician was a friend of theirs and fortunately was very well informed. Most pediatricians don't know much about the topic.

I know many people say their kids used these devices and are "just fine," but personally, I won't chance it with my own kid nor would I recommend their use to any parent who asks. For those who insist on using them, I would absolutely limit their use to less than 20 mins per day, but since you asked, I would recommend against their use as would every single pediatric physical therapist I know.

Since you asked ;)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I did ask & thank you both for your opinions. I am going to take them both to heart. Thank you again!

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Jumperoo as laxative?

I'm disinclined to use a saucer or a jumper for the reasons Beth listed above, but I'm starting about mayve using a jumper for a few minutes once or twice a week. See, my EBF son only poops every three or four days, and when he poops, he POOPS - so much so that I don't leave the house on days when he hasn't pooped in a while because one of his poops ALWAYS requires an entire clothing change for him, and sometimes for me (let me tell you how I just LOVE picking up my child only to have poop dribble down his leg and onto me.). My pediatrician recommended letting Baby A spend a few minutes in the jumper when he's gone several days without a poop, telling me, "the jumper is a POWERFUL laxative!"

I'm very curious to hear a PT's stanpoint on the issue of jumper as laxative. Believe me, I'm tempted to employ the contraption if it makes my boy a little more regular. However, a good friend of my mother's is a pediatric physical therapist, and every time she sees Baby A, she comments on how strong and advanced his muscle tone is, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize his progress.

Also, Beth, you mentioned that you developed a pamphlet on this topic. Is it possible for you to post the file, or to email it to me? Thank you!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use one and he enjoys it.

I think moderation is key. My best friend is also a pediatric physical therapist. She uses a jumperoo and exersaucer with her daughter...as toys, for limited time periods, pure fun, nothing more.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

In terms of the laxative effect, just being upright helps aid the body to have a BM (one of the reasons it is important when you are a patient in the hospital to get up and move as much as you are allowed). I suppose the activity might also stir things up a bit ;) If it helps your son poop, I am sure using it in very limited amounts is fine.

Smilequeen-I agree, in limited doses most of these things are probably fine. I think it is just too easy though for parents to end up having their kids spend a LOT of time in the various devices during the day without even realizing how fast a few minutes here and there adds up. So...I just like to mention the negatives so that hopefully parents are more aware of how much time their child is in there. Also, I like to make the point that they aren't "helpfuL" to development. I just hate to see parents shell out large sums of money for all of these things thinking they are needed/necessary. the way they are marketed gives a lot of parents that perception unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I do not have the pamplet on my computer. It is on a very old floppy disk, and I no longer even have a floppy drive on my MAC. If you want the references (journals/study titles/etc.) I can try to dig up a hard copy, but we're in the process of packing for a move coming up so it is tough right now. I wish I had the info handy.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

sue_g is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have to say that my children love the Jumperoo. Yes, I use it in moderation. It was great when they were your dd's age too since they were able to stand in it. They love to jump and do get some exercise in it. I do not keep them in it for long periods of time though. I would recommend getting one.

no offense, but parents out there...

Please don't consider a jumperoo "exercise" for your baby. It would be much more appropriate "exercise" for them to be working on their developmental skills on the floor and much more beneficial. There are concerns that jumping in a baby jumper may put infants at risk of spondylolisthesis, which is when the very bottom lumbar vertebrae slip forward on the sacrum (part of the pelvis) which can lead to low back pain and problems later in life. It is a lot of stress on the spine.

Please don't be upset with me...I just feel I have to make mention of this for anyone who is researching the topic. Just don't buy into the suggestions from the manufacturer or other parents that this is some type of "strengthening" or "exercise" type device for your baby. No way.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

austenfan Guest

I am curious what you would reccomend for babies with developmental delays. We are adopting from China and developmental delays (from not being held or getting one-on-one attention and floor time) mean that many of the children have weak leg muscles. I figured the movement in a stationary device would help. Now I have no idea to do while our daughter is catching up. I don't think seeing a PT will be necessary since most of these children ususally catch up in a short period of time. Suggestions? I am glad I read this post or I would have put her in one a bit every day.

Amy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast