Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Jumperoo Safety/Development Advice

For a child with developmental delays, it is even more critical to avoid the use of jumpers/saucers/walkers. If your DD needs to work on her developmental skills, floor time will help strengthen her muscles and help her catch up. Work with her on sitting, standing while holding on, rolling, or whatever she may be struggling with, but there's no need to use these types of equipment to "strengthen" anything :) Fly her around like an "airplane" and see if she can use her back muscles to lift her head/neck and extend her back...that's a great strengthening activity. If you have a yoga type ball, you can sit her on it (if she's able) and gently tip her side to side (obviously use caution here) and that will work her trunk muscles and help strengthen them. When she's ready to learn to pull to stand, remove the couch cushions so it is lower and easier to grasp. Have her crawl over couch cushions and pillows on the floor. When she's closer to walking, walk with her holding two of her hands. Progressively lower how high you hold her hands...see if she can walk if you hold them at shoulder height, then at chest height, then at waist height. Once she can do that, try having her walk with one hand held at shoulder height and progressively lower that as she gets more confident. Introduce a push toy when she can walk with two hands held and help her move it forward a bit and then take a few steps as you help her hold it steady. There are sooo many great ideas that are developmentally appropriate, that will help strengthen her muscles, and don't require any special equipment :) There's a great book at most bookstores (Border's etc.) called "Gross Motor Skills in children with Down Syndrome" by Patricia Winders. Don't let the title scare you off...it has some great ideas in there for activities to introduce to children with mild/moderate gross motor delays, particularly those with lower muscle tone. It is very parent friendly and has lots of good photos. That might be something you want to look at to get some ideas. Obviously you need to speak w/ your pediatrician and use your judgement about which activities are appropriate for her stage of develoment once she arrives, but it contains some great ideas.
    If you are concerned, you can always request an early intervention evaluation and they'll provide free in home therapy to help her catch up if necessary. Even if you think she'll catch up quickly, it might be worthwhile.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

kharden Guest

No offense to you as well, but how can it not be considered exercise when they have to use their legs for it to function? I understand your references to overuse as well as possible injuries, but while they may not be bearing their total body weight on their legs, they are bearing some weight, using their legs as mobility, and would of course be strengthening them to some extent. I can see where being on the floor would be beneficial for their upper body strength, but early on this is a good option for letting them use their legs. Sure, you can hold them in your lap, and let them push up, which is a typical developmental action, however I personally wouldn't consider things like a jumperoo totally useless. I have 4 kids (12, 10 yr old twins, 5, and one on the way), and found several of these items to be not only entertaining but functional in many ways.

Stacie

austenfan Guest

Beth,

Thanks you very much for your help! I will look into that book so taht I am ready when we bring her home.

Amy

sure thing amy. Best wishes to your growing family!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Colwyn was able to sit up really early, so he was using the Jumperoo at about 4-5 months for about 10 minutes every other day (he got bored if he was in it more). We stopped using it at about 7-8 months when he started pulling up and cruising. He probably wold have enjoyed it for a few months more, but I wanted him to focus on standing on his own rather than in the jumperoo or exersaucer.

I know that it has the potential to cause problems and delays, but I think that if you use it properly and put it away once your baby wants to stand on his/her own, I wouldn't worry too much.

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Beth,

I just wanted to say that I, for one, really appreciate your input on this. I've mentioned it before but I'll mention it again - my DH has spondilolysthesis & it's not pretty. We don't know how/why he developed it - I'm quite sure it wouldn't be appropriate to bring up this discussion with MIL :). He didn't have any pain at all from it until he was about 30 & you would never know from looking at him that there was anything wrong. But the amount of pain that he is in on an almost constant basis & all the activities that he just can't do, it doesn't hardly seem worth it to me to risk that for me child for 20 minutes a day.

I don't say this to hijack the thread or to judge anybody for using these items. Everyone has their own risk threshold & I respect that. But everytime this subject comes up it seems that the only risk most people are interested in or aware of is delaying development - & that seems like the most minor one to me. Serious spinal conditions, like spondilolysthesis, are so often NOT FIXABLE and oftentimes don't show themselves until much later in life.

Just my 2 cents.
    Allison

Thanks Allison. It is hard for me often times because I feel I offend those who choose to use these items...and I understand how they are terribly convenient. But...I also feel torn because there is a lack of info out there on possible negatives of saucers/walkers/jumpers, including a lack of knowledge on the topic by most pediatricians.

I'm sorry your DH has pain from the spondylolisthesis. My SIL has it as well..she's 32, and has quite a bit of pain from it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful message. I'm not always sure that my thoughts on the topic are welcome, but with my background, it is hard for me to not speak up on the topic ;)

Take care!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2