ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default brittone2 - swings and boppies

Hi Beth - I'd love some advice if you don't mind.

How long can dc's stay in the swing? My 10 wk old dd loves it and falls asleep for 2-3 1/2 hrs in it. I hate to wake her up at all so i just let her stay in it. Is that ok?

Also, how do you use the boppy for tummy time? i tried to put her over the large side w/ her chest on the boppy. it looks like it'd be bad for her back that way. she does have super strong neck muscles and pushes up really well when she's on our chests, but she cries when she's on the floor.

Thanks!!
    Tivo
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Default brittone2 - swings and boppies

Hi Beth - I'd love some advice if you don't mind.

How long can dc's stay in the swing? My 10 wk old dd loves it and falls asleep for 2-3 1/2 hrs in it. I hate to wake her up at all so i just let her stay in it. Is that ok?

Also, how do you use the boppy for tummy time? i tried to put her over the large side w/ her chest on the boppy. it looks like it'd be bad for her back that way. she does have super strong neck muscles and pushes up really well when she's on our chests, but she cries when she's on the floor.

Thanks!!
    Tivo

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: brittone2 - swings and boppies

As far as the swing, I know it is tough to move a sleeping baby, but using a swing for a long period of time does put some stress on the spine. I wouldn't recommend using it for longer than 30 mins to an hour a day total if possible, but I know that many parents use it for much longer and don't see problems. You also have to look at the total time they are in "other" things too...carseats (infant bucket style seats can also put stress on the spine), bouncers, etc. The total time they are in all of those devices per day is probably the most important thing to focus on. I'm not a big fan of babies sleeping in swings for any extended period of time. Maybe you could put her in it until she gets drowsy and then once she's sleepy move her into a sling or a bassinet? If you do allow her to sleep in the swing, I'd also watch to see that her head isn't tilted to one side or that her body isn't slouched/slumped/tilted to the side. Besides the spinal stress, sleeping in the swing/carseat/etc. for long periods of time can also put the child at an increased risk of positional plagiocephaly (flattening of the back of the head). This is really really common today...fortunately with therapy and positioning it can often be taken care of, but some kids require helmets to reshape their heads. This can also lead to the facial features becoming asymmetrical.

It is great you are doing a lot of tummy time!! When your baby pushes up well on your chest, are you sort of sitting up (semi reclined?). This is the "easiest" position as there is less pull from gravity, so it is a good place to start. You can just lean back on the sofa and put her on your chest...see if she'll lift her head. The more you move into a flat "lying down" position, the more challenging it will be for her to lift her head.

If she can lift her head well when she's on your chest and you are lying flat on the floor, just practice that way if she likes it. Once she gets stronger she will not mind being on the floor as much. You can also have her tummy down in your lap to practice. On the floor if the boppy seems too large or uncomfortable for her, a towel rolled up and placed under her chest can work too (obviously only do tummy time with supervision...have to put that disclaimer in there!).

Here's a pic of someone using a boppy with a baby for tummy time...

http://www.stronghealth.com/services...gyocephaly.cfm

ETA: you can try bending her hips and knees a bit, and then leaning her chest and forearms so they are supported by the boppy. Does that make any sense? You don't want her back all arched with her chest up on the boppy. By getting her knees under her a bit (if she seems comfortable this way) it might work better. Hard to explain. If you are concerned, I'd just skip the boppy for now ;)

If she will lift her head while on her tummy and lying on the ground, that's fine too...you don't "need" the boppy. You can try and get her to look at you if you face her, or have a small non breakable mirror or a fun toy for her to look at. If she's very resistant to tummy time keep the sessions short and sweet...a few mins but do it often throughout the day if you can.

HTH...let me know if you have any more questions.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

As far as the swing, I know it is tough to move a sleeping baby, but using a swing for a long period of time does put some stress on the spine. I wouldn't recommend using it for longer than 30 mins to an hour a day total if possible, but I know that many parents use it for much longer and don't see problems. You also have to look at the total time they are in "other" things too...carseats (infant bucket style seats can also put stress on the spine), bouncers, etc. The total time they are in all of those devices per day is probably the most important thing to focus on. I'm not a big fan of babies sleeping in swings for any extended period of time. Maybe you could put her in it until she gets drowsy and then once she's sleepy move her into a sling or a bassinet? If you do allow her to sleep in the swing, I'd also watch to see that her head isn't tilted to one side or that her body isn't slouched/slumped/tilted to the side. Besides the spinal stress, sleeping in the swing/carseat/etc. for long periods of time can also put the child at an increased risk of positional plagiocephaly (flattening of the back of the head). This is really really common today...fortunately with therapy and positioning it can often be taken care of, but some kids require helmets to reshape their heads. This can also lead to the facial features becoming asymmetrical.

It is great you are doing a lot of tummy time!! When your baby pushes up well on your chest, are you sort of sitting up (semi reclined?). This is the "easiest" position as there is less pull from gravity, so it is a good place to start. You can just lean back on the sofa and put her on your chest...see if she'll lift her head. The more you move into a flat "lying down" position, the more challenging it will be for her to lift her head.

If she can lift her head well when she's on your chest and you are lying flat on the floor, just practice that way if she likes it. Once she gets stronger she will not mind being on the floor as much. You can also have her tummy down in your lap to practice. On the floor if the boppy seems too large or uncomfortable for her, a towel rolled up and placed under her chest can work too (obviously only do tummy time with supervision...have to put that disclaimer in there!).

Here's a pic of someone using a boppy with a baby for tummy time...

http://www.stronghealth.com/services...gyocephaly.cfm

ETA: you can try bending her hips and knees a bit, and then leaning her chest and forearms so they are supported by the boppy. Does that make any sense? You don't want her back all arched with her chest up on the boppy. By getting her knees under her a bit (if she seems comfortable this way) it might work better. Hard to explain. If you are concerned, I'd just skip the boppy for now ;)

If she will lift her head while on her tummy and lying on the ground, that's fine too...you don't "need" the boppy. You can try and get her to look at you if you face her, or have a small non breakable mirror or a fun toy for her to look at. If she's very resistant to tummy time keep the sessions short and sweet...a few mins but do it often throughout the day if you can.

HTH...let me know if you have any more questions.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Wow, thanks so much for your time and detailed info!!! :)

I'm overwhelmed though. It almost seems like i should be holding her most of the day? The time she sleeps in the swing is such a blessing for me because i have fibromyalgia and fatigue and pain are a huge issue for me. Any time she sleeps, i lay down if i can. carrying her for too long is pretty hard. i did buy 4 different carriers yesterday and i'll see if any are better for me: active bjorn, 2 snuglies and 1 eddie bauer. she doesn't like the sling. i have the ultimate wrap but haven't been able to use that w/ her yet.

i am trying it now though to see if she takes her nap in the crib. (she's been asleep so far for 35 min there). in the past it was only cat naps all day long if i had her in the crib. lately with the swing, i've at least been able to get her to sleep most of the morning. She always up from 2pm-8pm, give or take, with very little napping. she just won't go down for more that a few minutes at a time. For some reason though she sleeps 8 hrs at night in the crib...there's just problems w/ the daytime. i know sleep is important for her too, so if she still cat naps too much it'd have to be a balancing act for me.

i stay home most of the time w/ her so she's not in the car seat very much...only a few times a week, if that. bouncies though she's also in. maybe 1 hour a day or so? how much time cummulative w/ all the items do i need to look out for?

her head is very well shaped so far. she rolls onto her side, sleeps w/ head in various positions and i breastfeed for most 80% of her feedings (some sitting up, some sidelying). if she's ok now, could it still change shape? she's 10 weeks old.

w/ laying on my chest, it all varies. sometimes i'm upright and sometimes flat. either way, she always lifts her head. it's actually hard to get her to put her head down and rest. With tummy time on the floor the past few days, she hasn't pushed up as much as she did w/ the floor. and it seems it's mainly neck/back/chest muscles w/ very little use of the arms, like she's body surfing. is that ok? I'll try the boppy again w/ her legs under her.

Oh, she's been holding her head up really well from day 1, along w/ scooting across the dr's table by pushing her feet against you hands, turning head and tracking w/ eyes, and turning her head w/ being on her stomach etc. very early on.

Thank you!!

I only have a few mins...have to get DS down for a nap but I wanted to respond. Your situation with the fibro is certainly unique and I can totally understand you need to do what you need to do. But not having her in "equipment" doesn't mean you have to hold her all day long either. Just vary what you put her in. Ideally no longer than 1.5 -2 hours per day in everything combined IMHO (other than crib), but again, you have to do what you have to do in your situation...I totally understand. You can also use things like the gymini (baby gym arch type thing), and just having her play on the floor in different positions. Lay her down in sidelying (prop something behind her and in front of her to keep her there) but only if you can supervise. If you might fall asleep, I'd put her somewhere safer like a crib, bassinet, etc. Change sides throughout the day, alternate with back and belly time (again, only on her belly when you can supervise). That variation in position is helpful without causing you to have to carry her everywhere. Just continue to change it up by providing your DD with lots and lots of floor time and other positions throughout the day, but again, only if you can supervise. If you need to nap, obviously the safest thing is to have her in the crib, bassinet, etc. (not sure if cosleeping is an option for you but it can be done safely. We still cosleep with our almost 13 month old DS).

As far as slings, rather than the "carrier" types like the bjorn, maybe try a Maya wrap, or a Kangaroo Korner pouch? I find those much comfier for mom and baby. Adjusted properly it should be easier to carry her than using your arms. If you are BFing, maybe try a LLL meeting if you can...there are usually slinging moms there who would probably love to loan you a sling to try at least for the meeting. That way you could see how it worked for you before spending money on one. The wider fabric vs. straps of the others can distribute the weight better, but there's a learning curve to getting them adjusted properly (check out peppermint.com for babywearing info).

Yes, her head can still change shape, but it is a good sign that it is nice and round so far :) It sounds like she's doing great developmentally. SHe'll push up using her arms most likely in the next month or two, no worries :)

Gotta run. Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry about the pain from the fibro...I'm sure it is very challenging with a newborn. Hugs.

ETA...didn't think of this earlier but maybe check out the Amby baby hammock??

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

What do you think of the Bumbo Baby Sitters?
    Thanks soooooo much!

I haven't seen one IRL, only photos, so I'd hesitate to comment until I've seen a child's sitting posture in one.

THere are therapists who use something similar made by a company called Tumbleforms, but I know PTs who don't like those because they can encourage an abnormal pelvic tilt (sort of a slight slump in the low back). So...I'd hesitate to comment without seeing a child in one IRL.

I do think they may encourage parents to "sit up" an infant earlier than is developmentally appropriate and the child could end up pretty tired out and with less than ideal posture in one. I've walked in many a house where the baby is slumped over sideways in a saucer because they can no longer muster the strength to hold themself up and the parent didn't seem to notice. That's one thing that worries me w/ all these devices. Not all parents are good about looking out for that sort of thing.

Again, they probably are not too bad but I wouldn't leave the baby in it for a very long time and I'd remove baby at the first signs of fatigue setting in. They seem to sit the baby up pretty upright, and since a baby can't necessarily shift his/her weight very well when quite young, I'd be concerned about pressure building on the skin if they are left in too long. Just something to consider...I haven't seen one used IRL yet so I can't say for sure. That just happened to pop into my mind.

So...really I'm no help until I see a "live" child in one...photos don't give me a good enough idea of what sort of sitting posture they hold the child in. Sometimes what may "look" good to a parent isn't great posturally in the eyes of a therapist/chiropractor/orthopedist, kwim?

HTH. Hope this made sense as DS is pulling on me and trying to climb on me presently ;)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

Anytime :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006