Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Can you use Thomas or Brio trains with IKEA track?

Thanks. :)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Can you use Thomas or Brio trains with IKEA track?

I heard that you can EXCEPT that the tunnel is too short.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They say you can but IME you really have to force it, especially for the Thomas branded track.

ETA: DOH, I thought you were asking about track. IME, the trains all work on all of the wooden track and we have IKEA, Imaginarium, old Thomas track, new Thomas track, Brio and some uber cheapie wooden railrail track.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can use the cars, but the tunnel under the bridge is too short for some cars to fit through.

The track is hit or miss. I find it fits fine with Brio, but not with the KidKraft track that came with our train table. We don't have any Thomas, so I don't know there. I am currently selling off the IKEA track and train to buy more generic track from our local train store.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Thanks. I meant to ask if you could mix track too. DS is very envious of a couple of Thomas accessories a friend of his has and I was thinking of adding to his own collection, but I couldn't decide if it would fit. I've never looked at the track side by side, but the Thomas stuff *looks* a little wider to me...

If your looking for tracks that are a little more economical than the Thomas and Brio tracks you might want to look at getting a set of tracks by Imaginarium. You can get a 42 pieces set for $29.99. It comes with tracks and trains.

As far as mixing track: Thomas, Brio and Imaginarium tracks can all be used together. We have the Brio and Imaginarium tracks and they fit perfectly. I have see the Thomas and Brio tracks used together and they fit perfectly too. The only difference you can see is that the color of wood Brio uses is a little different than the Thomas and Imaginarium tracks. I'm not sure about the IKEA track, since don't own any. (Sorry :( )

We got DS Imaginarium's Construction Train set and the Straight and Curved track set as his starter set and that was more than enough to keep him happy. IMO the Imaginarium trains are better made. They look better/newer for longer. DS has had his Thomas trains and Imaginarium trains for about six months and the Thomas trains have dents and chipped paint. They look older than they really are. As for the Imaginarium trains still look like new. Both sets of trains have been put thought the same amount of use. And it's not like DS is ruff with his toys. Of course all the trains do get pushed of the edge of the sofa because DS thinks it's so cool to watch, but we have carpet in our house. Go figure. HTH

Link to Imaginarium's Construction Train set
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=19RMYKFLLR41E
    Leslie

Mommy to
    B 1/2004
    T 8/2008

No Katie, you got it right. I was asking about track. And then I remembered that I wanted to know about trains too. :)

Thanks!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Thomas and Ikea track work fine together for us. Some pieces take a little coercion to fit but nothing all that horrible IME.

As the PPs said, the tunnel is too short for Thomas-sized trains but otherwise we've been using all of our stuff together from the beginning without much difficulty.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010